corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hunting/shooting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hunting/shooting
jibjob

User status: Offline
28th Feb 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always been shooting since I was young but i've never had my own gun and now i'm looking into it.

I'm looking into getting a shotgun mainly for pigeons and ducks either side by side or over and under, variable choke, right handed, preferably single trigger but i'm not sure on barrel length or ideal gauge for the purpose.

Who else on here goes shooting and has their own gun? What do you have and what do you use it for?

My dad used to work for the police assessing shotgun licence applications and a lot of my friends shoot so I know all the rules and regs for cabinets, etc so thats not a problem. Theres a lot of farms round here that are happy for me to shoot on and i'm always highly responsible when it comes to guns as one mistake could be deadly.

I'm just after peoples opinions on the ideal gauge and barrel length for pigeons, ducks and occasionally rabbits.

Jakey
Premium Member

28th Feb 12 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a shitty 2.2 air rifle under my bed that I haven't used in years. Let me know if you get a gun and I can kill some ants and snails with mine.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Feb 12 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a .22 somewhere, I once shot a pidgoen with it and it just looked around at me then flew off

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
jibjob

28th Feb 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jake let me borrow it this week! If it actually manages to kill something you can have it for tea!

Considering pigeons are fairly stupid animals they seem to be able to dodge shots fairly well! Me and a mate were out on Saturday and we left off 4 shots at one and it swerved every single shot! Its not like we're bad shots either!
Matt L

28th Feb 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only been shooting once but is something i want to start doing a bit more often so im not really helpful here tbh.
Gary
Premium Member

28th Feb 12 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt mind starting with my old man. Only way id get a licence as he lives on a farm so would help with licence maybe
Sunz

28th Feb 12 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a crossbow

More skill and no licence needed.
harrisp

28th Feb 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sunz
What about a crossbow

More skill and no licence needed.

and also illegal to hunt with.

Im applying for .17hmr and .22lr soon cant wait.
Doug

28th Feb 12 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grab a 12 bore O/U as they are the most universal. I tend to shoot with a 28" Browning 525 and love it. I used to use a Beretta Silver Pigeon II and again, loved it. But there is quite a price difference.

You're about 5'8 from memory? Something like a 30" would probably suit quite well

Get some some proper driven game days. Brilliant fun! Nothing better then dropping a high pheasant or a Woodcock darting between trees

[Edited on 28-02-2012 by Doug]
jibjob

28th Feb 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got a good memory Doug! thanks for the info I'll look into what you've mentioned.

Why would you suggest a 30" rather than something shorter? The ones I've been using recently are 27" I think both O/U and SBS.
Doug

28th Feb 12 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bugger I edited the wrong one!

I meant to say I shoot with a 30" and would suggest a 28"!

I would try to stick with a decent make if you can. Ignore the quality of the stock and engraving as that can bump the price up a bit!

I prefer to have a plain Browning over a nicely engraved piece of crap
jibjob

28th Feb 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the ones I've been using are fairly plain. Both have a bit of engraving, ones wooden and the other is synthetic (I don't think that's the right term).

Is the barrel length in relation to your height?

What are the best makes to look for then? Browning, Baretta...
andy1868

28th Feb 12 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd go for a browning myself...

jibjob

28th Feb 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to hit the bird and still be able to eat it after rather than it being a mass of mangled feathers and guts plus the range of both of those weapons would mean I'd be kind of stuck for anywhere to fire them!
Ricky352

29th Feb 12 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob

What are the best makes to look for then? Browning, Baretta...

I was on an Army work experience thing years ago and we used Baretta over and under shotguns for clay pigeons. The army guys said they cost £1600 each, and I hit 10 out of 10 targets and still have the crappy plastic trophy they gave me lol. To be honest apart from that the only other shotguns I've used are my uncles side by side ones which are ancient lol.

I also have a .177 and .22 and they have killed many a bird. Have yet to get a rabbit lined up in my sights though, have only caught them with a ferret.
Jakey
Premium Member

29th Feb 12 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll see if I've got any pellets and we'll take it out.

Where do you go Jonny? Somewhere with Stubby?
3CorsaMeal

29th Feb 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

far more skill with an air rifle imo
jibjob

29th Feb 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye jake I go out with Stubby or I might be able to go out with Wingy.

Air rifle is far easier to hit a target. You have more time, a scope, usually the target is sat still, etc. With a shotgun its waiting for something to fly, setting your gun, flicking the safety off, aiming in front of a moving target and then firing.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Hunting/shooting 24 database queries in 0.0164080 seconds