corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project silly / cheapo mini moto

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project silly / cheapo mini moto
boylers11

User status: Offline
21st Feb 12 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slightly unusual, but thought some people may want to have a look at my new project. Got it for a great price and just a bit of fun really, just to take apart, service, put back together and mess about with. If I wreck it, it doesn't matter. My mate has a massive driveway, which is where I'll be testing it before selling it on.....

Intact:

and the stripping begins:

box of parts:

stripped:

First of all, it stank of petrol, so I removed the fuel tank and gave it a bloody good wash.
It's currently sat in my study with WD40 on all of the bolts, ready for further stripping tomorrow.

PLANS//
sand and repaint frame
clean wheels and perhaps spray them a different colour
de-rust exhaust and do something to make it quieter
new spark plug
air filter
engine overhaul (I suspect the bloke before ran on neat unleaded)
brake refurb
damn good tidy up
repaint / carbon fibre wrap fairings

This is a mega budget project, so if I wreck it, I don't need to worry.

If anyone has any advice / knowledge on mini motos, either sensible or stupid, feel free, this is a fun project after all!

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by boylers11]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff. I have one the same colour as my nova. Tuned it up and changed the sprockets etc and it's pretty quick now. Not been out the shed for years though

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
boylers11

21st Feb 12 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, I may be needing your input on the mechanical stuff! It must have a leak somewhere, as it stinks of petrol. I suppose not having an air filter doesn't help. Oh and if you Tom or anyone else has cheap spare parts for pennies, U2U me please

[Edited on 21-02-2012 by boylers11]
Ben G

21st Feb 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used to have one of these, fell off doing 30mph and ruined my best joggers
Tomnova16
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No spares I'm afraid but you can make a reed valve from a sheet of fibre board. Just trace the metal one

Tomnova16
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It gives a quicker close time

corsa_sean

21st Feb 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and my mate used to race them he was scottish champ so any advice give me a u2u bud looks a alright one
Sean

21st Feb 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had one of these as a projejt, was great fun untiil i snapped a piston ring and never got round to fixing it lol...
Tomnova16
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 22:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use to ride it round slough trading estate with a guy from work on his at lunch times.
Few hairy moments and a lot of ducking away from the police

Loads of us had them and we use to race round Cressix industrial estate at night as no cars around. Those were the days
The police even let us do it as we were out of the way and not near houses etc

boylers11

21st Feb 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers everyone. It feels a bit weird having one of these to mess about with being a 28 year old health care professional, but the kid inside you never dies! I've told a few mates, one of which has also just bought one and another couple are searching Ebay as we speak!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a pain now as nowhere to ride. Police can just crush them

Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st Feb 12 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be a cool project mate, I got one in the shed, hasn't been used in a year or 2!

How much do they tend to go for nowadays?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
sc0ott

21st Feb 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of these got me 8 points on my provisional licence 8 years ago. On the plus side me and a mate went 8 miles along a coastal path and the teeth on my sprocket worn down to a point where the chain wouldnt grip.

A bigger sprocket made it quicker top end but slower acceleration.
dannyboy17

21st Feb 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had one of these, got it for £10 sold it for £40 after painting the frame red and fairings matt black, looked ace
boylers11

21st Feb 12 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well mine's fully functioning, just needs TLC and I got it for £40. My mate's one was £26, but it doesn't start. So between £40 and £60 I would say, although there was a high spec one for sale, with fob alarm, key fob starter, lights and indicators and he wanted £120 for it. There's nowhere to ride them now though, so noone wants them. For me, this is just a learning project, I'm not doing it to make money.
boylers11

18th Mar 12 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I have now finished my project, but forgot to upload my photos as I went a long, so below are the rest of the 'during' and 'finished' pictures.

I decided not to fir all of the fairings back on, as they were a little tatty-looking and I wanted the minimalistic look. I also carbon fibre-wrapped a few of the shell parts.

C&C welcome

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project silly / cheapo mini moto 25 database queries in 0.0129850 seconds