corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is there money in working in CAD?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is there money in working in CAD?
LeeM

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
I used to make just shirt of a grand a week when I did sales when I was 18, far too much pressure and I'd never do it again.

Bloody hell doing what? I know of directers of large 200+ employee companys on less than that

Cold call mobile upgrades. It was a bit of a scam if I'm honest.
richc

23rd Mar 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
I used to make just shirt of a grand a week when I did sales when I was 18, far too much pressure and I'd never do it again.

Bloody hell doing what? I know of directers of large 200+ employee companys on less than that

Cold call mobile upgrades. It was a bit of a scam if I'm honest.

Ooo explain please i love a good scandal
sc0ott

23rd Mar 12 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use cad but mainly to plot houses, flats etc on to our sites, detail various aspects of whats being built etc and to create and revise our drawings.

We use an external company who creates 3d images of what the site would look like once complete. Was only just the other day i found out it would cost £900 just to change the view on the 3d image.

[Edited on 23-03-2012 by sc0ott]

[Edited on 23-03-2012 by sc0ott]
bwbw

24th Mar 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What consultancy?

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
I do CAD every day for a building services engineering consultancy and get £13k for the privilege, after being here 3 years. Every day is basically the same and while I am good at doing what we do in CAD, I despise using it after sitting on it all day every day for so long. So no, I wouldn't recommend it
mwg

24th Mar 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

13k for being a CAD technician Dave? You definitely need to move to a different company, they are taking the piss out of you. Unless you are shit of course
mwg

24th Mar 12 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can get in a decent size company there is money in CAD. Or like Davey says contracting self employed is really good money but guess there is no guaranteed work that way so more of a risk. And you need to get a lot of experience before you can even start thinking about doing that.
Jules S
Premium Member

24th Mar 12 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strictly speaking CAD (in pretty much all of it's variants) is just a tool.

In the past you could have made a decent wage tracing; but that's all gone now.

Without a fundemantal understanding of what you are trying to draw/create you're useless, as Rich said

Again, I'd rather have somebody working for me with technical savvy and limited CAD knowledge as opposed to vice versa

Oh, and the guy who said BIM/revit is the way forward....indeed it is. I spoke to a consultant yesterday (what he doesn't know about Autodesk products isn't worth knowing) and he descibed revit as a database with a graphic front end.

A nice description i thought.
sxibeast

25th Mar 12 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At my work we use Solidworks. The guy who was doing the CAD work was on around £45k (as a contractor, a perm role will be pitched at £35k) and he started off as a wireman and kind of 'fell' into the drawing role.

Comparing to how he drew components to me, there is a vast difference. His mech eng background was limited so he drew as he saw. I however draw how i would manufacture (been within the mech eng role for almost 10 years).

As he has now left, i have all the CAD duties along with my normal role within the mech eng workshop, and i can certainly say, even though i do enjoy CAD, after a week sitting on my arse staring at a computer screen all day looking at technical drawings, re-jigging assemblies and working out how the hell people have drawn things, its a pleasure to be able to leave it and go back to some more hands on work!

I am also doing a BEng in mech eng, however i certainly wouldn't change it for a more CAD/drawing based degree! There are certainly some fantastic jobs out there for people with mech eng degrees (check out Rolls Royce and the nuclear division).

We have had some students come through in previous years that did product design degrees, as it gave them experience of both CAD and mech eng. If i remember, one has just got a job at Raytheon (product desgin degree), one for Lockheed Martin (BEng mech), one is in the USA working for a military contractor (BEng mech) and 2 are at pharmaceutical firms (both Beng mech).

Stick with the BEng, do the MEng, get experience of CAD (and other modelling techniques, FEA etc) and then go for CEng status. Job done then!
Simon

25th Mar 12 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Strictly speaking CAD (in pretty much all of it's variants) is just a tool.

In the past you could have made a decent wage tracing; but that's all gone now.

Without a fundemantal understanding of what you are trying to draw/create you're useless, as Rich said

Again, I'd rather have somebody working for me with technical savvy and limited CAD knowledge as opposed to vice versa

Oh, and the guy who said BIM/revit is the way forward....indeed it is. I spoke to a consultant yesterday (what he doesn't know about Autodesk products isn't worth knowing) and he descibed revit as a database with a graphic front end.

A nice description i thought.

Jules, we've had revit in the office for a few years now but we have only ever used it for models for presentation purposes previously. We have just started our first job with the intention of using it wholly, I'm the only one in the office with a computer good enough to run the latest version though so its all on me
rossnomore

26th Mar 12 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Are you just a CAD jockey though or are you an engineer who uses CAD - big difference.

Just a Cad jockey, i work from engineers reports. Currenly helping design a pylon route in the highlands. We use MicrostationV8i

[Edited on 26-03-2012 by rossnomore]
LeeM

26th Mar 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxibeast
At my work we use Solidworks. The guy who was doing the CAD work was on around £45k (as a contractor, a perm role will be pitched at £35k) and he started off as a wireman and kind of 'fell' into the drawing role.

Comparing to how he drew components to me, there is a vast difference. His mech eng background was limited so he drew as he saw. I however draw how i would manufacture (been within the mech eng role for almost 10 years).

As he has now left, i have all the CAD duties along with my normal role within the mech eng workshop, and i can certainly say, even though i do enjoy CAD, after a week sitting on my arse staring at a computer screen all day looking at technical drawings, re-jigging assemblies and working out how the hell people have drawn things, its a pleasure to be able to leave it and go back to some more hands on work!

I am also doing a BEng in mech eng, however i certainly wouldn't change it for a more CAD/drawing based degree! There are certainly some fantastic jobs out there for people with mech eng degrees (check out Rolls Royce and the nuclear division).

We have had some students come through in previous years that did product design degrees, as it gave them experience of both CAD and mech eng. If i remember, one has just got a job at Raytheon (product desgin degree), one for Lockheed Martin (BEng mech), one is in the USA working for a military contractor (BEng mech) and 2 are at pharmaceutical firms (both Beng mech).

Stick with the BEng, do the MEng, get experience of CAD (and other modelling techniques, FEA etc) and then go for CEng status. Job done then!

Very informative, cheers. Gonna stock with BEng now. The idea of the cad degree was just a passing thought really
tom130691
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I'd rather take on a Engineer with CAD Experience than a CAD Designer with no Engineering experience

hire me
RichR
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxibeast
His mech eng background was limited so he drew as he saw. I however draw how i would manufacture (been within the mech eng role for almost 10 years).

This is the fundamental difference between the two IMO and why I would rather an Engineer who can use CAD than vice versa
antnee

26th Mar 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't Corash focus on CAD stuff? Now working at Audi?
Daveskater
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rossnomore
I design overhead pylons in CAD, many moneys to be had with the right company
This is true, I once saw a job listing that sounded exactly like my job but for £26k. Didn't go for it because I want a different job

Dave do you guys ever touch Revit? We are working on our first job as a revit collaboration, steep learning curve but loads of advantages. It's the future!
I'm doing a project with it at the moment, but it's in phases and the first phase is almost all remodelling and the existing building is only 2D so I'm not using it 'properly' at the moment, if you will. Have you done training for it?

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bwbw
What consultancy?

quote:
I do CAD every day for a building services engineering consultancy and get £13k for the privilege, after being here 3 years. Every day is basically the same and while I am good at doing what we do in CAD, I despise using it after sitting on it all day every day for so long. So no, I wouldn't recommend it

A small place near Oxford

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

26th Mar 12 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
13k for being a CAD technician Dave? You definitely need to move to a different company, they are taking the piss out of you. Unless you are shit of course
Without blowing my own trumpet, I produce the best quality CAD drawings in the company. Came here on 12k after 4 months of the dole, completely being mugged off now so I'm out of here in the next couple of months

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is there money in working in CAD? 24 database queries in 0.1820939 seconds