corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » re-profiled cams

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author re-profiled cams
jay.jay

User status: Offline
10th Mar 12 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats bad about them compared to the blank ones?
corsadonk
Premium Member

10th Mar 12 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You only re-move matrial not add, so you don't gain any lift i,e the valves don't open wider. But you can change the duration so they open for longer.

They are fine for mild tune, but for more power you'll need proper high lift cams.
shaunmods
Premium Member

10th Mar 12 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meant to knacker your lifters arent they?

Personally I'd go for ones profiled from blanks just to be safe
jay.jay

10th Mar 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right cheers guys, knew there was somethin not quite right with them, which company is best? i.e piper kent etc. looking to get some in a few months dont wanna pay through the teeth tho.
Alex_Rally

4th Apr 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got some for sale mate
gazza808

4th Apr 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
You only re-move matrial not add, so you don't gain any lift i,e the valves don't open wider. But you can change the duration so they open for longer.

They are fine for mild tune, but for more power you'll need proper high lift cams.

this is completely wrong!
when you remove the material from the base diameter this gives you more lift

also theres nothing wrong with using them on a solid lift profile as you'd have to shim etc any ways,
with hydro lifters they take a beating as some times they have to extend to much to take up the new gap

but if it's a mild set for you x16xe or c20xe, if the cam doesn't need piston mods to work then a regrind will probably be just fine for that profile.

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by gazza808]

jay.jay

5th Apr 12 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, so would you choose reprofiled over blank if it's just a mild build? Will be using throttle bodies eventually but just gonna use powerbox etc for now
possy

6th Apr 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a set off piper bp285s for sale and some autosprint ones to
corsadonk
Premium Member

7th Apr 12 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk

this is completely wrong!
when you remove the material from the base diameter this gives you more lift

How can it give you more lift, if you have removed metal from the cam? More lift is the valves open wider/deeper into the engine, which is why you need deeper pockets in your pistons. The reprofile/long duration cams like I said they open for longer, letting more fuel and air in, and out giving more power.

Hi had some piper BP285's in my old XE, which are high lift cams which can only be made from blanks, and I had to machine the head so they would turn in the head. They're the first ones that can't be make from OE cams on the Piper prices list. Making them hi lift, which also need machined pistons.

I still think you're on about duration, and not lift.
gazza808

7th Apr 12 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your going to loose this argument, I've built a few cam grinders in my time now

Take one of the individual cams off a sam shaft,
Now look at it, the peak is what provides the lift,
Now if you grind down the low point it in theory makes the peak bigger compared to the overall diameter,
And the lift pumps up to take out the clearance caused by the grinding,
There fore giving you more lift.

Some cams need to be made from blanks because there's just not enough meat on them to be made from standard cams.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » re-profiled cams 23 database queries in 0.0105760 seconds