corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » steering rack

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author steering rack
dobbynufc

User status: Offline
16th Mar 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am going to be putting a new steering rack into my 1.4 corsa b, is there any specific way to do it ? or can it all be done from underneath ? any help appreciated because dont have a clue thanks
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 12 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels off, track rod ends off the hubs.

Jack under the engine, rear mount off and gear linkage off, ease the engine forward.

Think the rack is the lowest point so drain fluid from here if its PAS.

Get inside and take it off the column.

Then the four 13s on the bulkhead, either underneath or via the wheel arches or on top, can't remember.
dobbynufc

16th Mar 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its electric power steering ian, and i will be doing it at work on a ramp so would the engine move with the jack once the rear mount is off ?
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 12 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just to give you a bit more room. You got a transmission jack? The tall one for holding gearboxes? That would do it.

Might even get away without moving the engine if its EPAS, not as much in the way.
dobbynufc

16th Mar 12 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah have a transmission jack so its not really that hard of a job after youve explained it to me the bolt holding it onto the column is a 13 ? on the master spline ? thanks for your help mate
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Mar 12 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think so yeah.
dobbynufc

16th Mar 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks mate much appreiciated
Edges 58

18th Mar 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i changed mine last week on my drive, car up on stands, inlet and alternator off the engine (20XE) disconnect gear linkage and front gearbox mount and lean the engine forward, then theres plenty of space to wiggle the rack out
dobbynufc

7th Apr 12 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done it today, was easier than I expected worst thing was setting all the tracking up. Straight as a die now like so thanks for ya help lads. Much appreciated

New Poll