corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » When one job turns into several

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author When one job turns into several
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th May 12 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know its not Vaux i've posted on meganesport but thought some might be interested in the trials and tribulations of my renault piece of junk.

So the MOT is due and realised just before combe that i had a snapped spring, cue a set off kevr26 off meganesport (thanks mate) which arrived in the post.

Ok so the original job was to replace the springs, due to one of them snapping. Cue this on both sides:

Carried on removing hub, upon closer inspection boot itself is fine but looks like the clips have gone

thinking this should do it? & some CV grease

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-CV-BOOT-CLIPS-STAINLESS-STEEL-X-10-PAIRS-/130495104134?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e621d4486&clk_rvr_id=340634010339&clk_rvr_id=340806669730

Then noticed the rubber on this droplink seems to be failing, iirc these are around £60 from renault? are pattern ones available if so what is it called as there are two?

Also noticed the rubber here seems to be failing too, am i right in thinking this would need a whole lower arm to replace this?

This is just one side of the car, havent stripped down the other side yet to reveal the horrors that side but at least i got the one strut off ready to get the old spring off, MOT seems a fair way off yet :dazed002:

Planning on knocking a guide up once i've managed to do everything as i've taken plenty of pictures.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the mileage? R26? 225? 175?
Tom J
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its phase one 225, 90K miles. Had a new engine turbo clutch at 58K as the oil pump went
Joe

9th May 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bush in the lower arm will be fine, unless it fails it's mot I'd leave it. The anti roll bar links will fail an mot under the new rules because the boots are split so may aswell do them. For the cv boot clips we just use big jubilee clips, the ones you posted will do aswell though.

Not too major really and you seem to know what your doing.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jubilee's wont work, you need smaller than usual cv boot clips as the knuckle will just pull them off
Tom J
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the replies. i found a previous post on the megane site where the clips i linked to were posted, it has been mentioned that the jubilees wont work. do i need a special tool to fit the boot clips tho?
Joe

9th May 12 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use jubilee clips at work, usually on Corsa's to be fair but they are fine on them.

Obviously not as much room on a Megane.

With them clips, basically there is teeth that hook into all the holes. Get it as tight as you can with the teeth locked in and then there is a raised bit which you need to squeeze in at the sides which will tighten it right up.

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by Joe]

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by Joe]
Tom J
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking this should help get it really tight
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-CV-Boot-Clip-Tensioning-Tool-Cutting-Cutter-CV-CVJ-Boot-Bands-/300705391850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46037024ea
Joe

9th May 12 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's for the other type of clip so wont work..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV-BOOT-CLIPS-FITTING-TOOL-PLIERS-20-STAINLESS-STEEL-UNIVERSAL-CLAMPS-H-DUTY-/170833423363?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27c6772c03#ht_1402wt_689
Tom J
Premium Member

9th May 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks
LeeM

9th May 12 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

French cars for ya. With saxos if im doing suspension work I've always got new drop links and track rod ends to replace the knackered ones I've had to cut off

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » When one job turns into several 23 database queries in 0.0151331 seconds