corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home Servers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home Servers
noshua

User status: Offline
31st May 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody got one?

Been looking at getting a HP MicroServer, currently £110 cashback on them (£240-£110=£130), lots of people using them to serve PS3/TV/HTPC.

Thinking of having one instead of using the Acer Revo I have and use it as a file server (it's 4 bays) and to handle all the downloading/processing and XBMC library.

Not quite sure what else to have running on it apart from file server / computer and phone backups and possibly migrate over XAMPP.
Whittie

31st May 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one, but noise and vibrations fucked me off enough to just get a nas box.
andy_mk3

31st May 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read here, 133 page thread on them

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18216324
John

31st May 12 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a standard PC running server 8 just now.

Runs Sabnzbd+, sickbeard, couchpotato, my weather station software, ps3ms and servioo and all my data.

Manages the processing involved with the newsgroup stuff, including 40gb files and has no bother streaming to my TV.

Only got 3gb of ram and an old pentium dual core.

Wouldn't do a pug nut and have proper server hardware unless it was somewhere completely noise insulated.

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by John]
noshua

31st May 12 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy that's the thread that keeps popping up on Google, along with the AVForums one which I've been keeping an eye on.

Seem quite good, cheap, low power and relatively powerful.

Whittie why didn't you just put it in a different room?

I wouldn't get a NAS box again, decent ones are more than the MicroServer and are less powerful!

EDIT: Basically what I was planning on using one for then John, does my head in when the Revo freezes when it starts checking/repairing and sometimes unpacking stuff whilst I'm trying to watch something through XBMC.

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by noshua]
Whittie

31st May 12 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stuck it in the cellar of a house, vibrated through the whole friggin house, even when on polystyrene
noshua

31st May 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was your house made of cardboard?
Dom

31st May 12 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have used/installed a few HP Microservers and have always found them pretty quiet compared to other HP/Dell servers. Just note that they aren't the most powerful things in the world.
Bart

31st May 12 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
I had one, but noise and vibrations fucked me off enough to just get a nas box.

This.

also depends on your requirements, but theeres alot to be said for a simple NAS that "just works".
no need to worry about driver / windows updates, low memory, networking issues.

Synology DS212J
USB 3, gigabit ethernet, fantastic management software £159 (+ HDDs)

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by Bart]
John

31st May 12 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got 4 Synology DS1511+ in use in work and they can't beat a windows box, could buy a windows box for quite a bit less TBH.

They have updates, memory and similar possible network issues.
Dom

31st May 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brothers got a DS212J (3TB WD Green's) and it's reasonable as a NAS box, thought the transfer speeds would be better though (getting 30-40MB/s Raid 1), but i found it hasn't got any grunt to do anything useful beyond that (transcoding is well off the list).
The Microserver would certainly be the better bet, plus it's cheaper (after cashback).

John - Surprised you say that as the DS1511+'s always appear to get decent reviews and the specs seem pretty decent; although they are expensive.

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by Dom]
John

31st May 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why they got 4, on my recommendation. Had a couple of problems.

They aren't exactly bad but not worth the price IMO. Cost about £1500 quid to get a usable 7TB (per NAS) at the time.
noshua

31st May 12 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NAS boxes are great if you just want to be able to access data and have it do the rest; I need a box to run Usenet automation and backups, possible transcoding and other pissing about.

Slow transfer speeds annoyed me to fuck with the A-110 NMT I had, trying to use Usenet on it to unpack was a joke!
ed

1st Jun 12 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Netgear Readnas. That can torrent through a web interface (Transmission BT) and could do video transcoding because it runs on a Linux distro and you could install FFMPEG. Saying that, the Sparc processor its got is a pussy so it would take forever to do anything useful. No idea about Usenet on it as I don't use that.

Probably not that useful for you, but I would guess that there are boxes out there that would do what you'd like without having to run a full server.
Rob_Quads

1st Jun 12 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an old Atom machine which is running WHS 1 - Great OS with its drive extender and also automatic machine back capability.

As I am slowly moving over to a Mac based house the drive extender is the only feature I am really using.

Also use the machine for running my home CCTV as well as a few other things. Sometimes its starting to push it now so maybe looking to upgrade it to a machine which still have a nice low idle but can clock up if need be.

New Poll