corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Are Corsa B Aftermarket Stereos tricky to sit flush or what?? Help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are Corsa B Aftermarket Stereos tricky to sit flush or what?? Help!
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
   29th Jun 12 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a Phillips head unit/stereo and installed it last night.
Try as I might I just could not make the unit go all the way in to the empty stereo slot/cavity of the Corsa.
The stereo cage is now protruding about 3mm out from the left-hand side as the wires around the back of the stereo seem to be stopping it from being pushed all the way in. It’s not fully flush as it should be, and it looks a bit rough to me.
I managed to remove the small shelf under the glovebox and stick my hand up behind the stereo in order to try and pull all the wires away from obstructing the stereo. That partly worked.
If you look at the stereo from the inside of the car: my Corsa’s power connector-thingy runs up to the left-hand side of the stereo slot, and my Corsa’s aerial wire runs up to the right-hand side of the stereo slot. The Phillips stereo has the connectors to the above on the opposite sides - so all the wires cross causing a bit of a mess behind the stereo!

Any ways to get this stereo to sit properly?

Is this a standard Corsa issue? i.e. Stereos being a pig to fit flush?
scoobymark

29th Jun 12 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I removed the glove box and ash tray on mine to fit the stereo, might seem ott but it flew in once I could move the wires out of the way
corsajay88

29th Jun 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scoobymark
I removed the glove box and ash tray on mine to fit the stereo, might seem ott but it flew in once I could move the wires out of the way

this, i have one of those ripspeed dvd player things and there is a silly amount of wires at the back of these things but it will go in with the above removed. still a struggle though
Billy Dean

29th Jun 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys.

How easy is it to remove the glove box?
I undid the 4 main screws on it but it didn't seem to want to be pulled out! It felt as if it would break something if I pulled it out in anger!
Root

29th Jun 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Dean
Thanks guys.

How easy is it to remove the glove box?
I undid the 4 main screws on it but it didn't seem to want to be pulled out! It felt as if it would break something if I pulled it out in anger!

It's easy, can't remember how though. Try just removing the ash tray first (4 screws) and move the wires out the way from underneath when you push the stereo back
gav93

29th Jun 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glovebox piece of piss just screws that hold it in have a look..
Prey

29th Jun 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glovebox has a bracket up the back of it with 1 screw in as well as the 4 at the front.
Eddx14xe

29th Jun 12 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose it depends what model. My 1998 sports glove box was just slotted in place and held in with two screws at the top inside it. You will need a stubby screwdriver to undo them.
Billy Dean

4th Jul 12 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks lads. I removed the glovebox in the end and tried again. It was only a little easier to be honest. It's still very, very tight back there. I think the fact that my car's cables are on the opposite side to the head units cables doesn't help! And the ISO connector that came in the box isn't the longest lol
So it's not flush still, but at least it's in and not moving

------------------

Now my front driver's side speaker hasn't worked for months.

Is this a common fault?
Best way to check what's wrong with it?
corsajay88

4th Jul 12 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the speaker out and check wiring on the back,though more than likely where it joins the iso connector is broken. I had this with the switched live. Not a big job if you can solder
Root

4th Jul 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Dean
Thanks lads. I removed the glovebox in the end and tried again. It was only a little easier to be honest. It's still very, very tight back there. I think the fact that my car's cables are on the opposite side to the head units cables doesn't help! And the ISO connector that came in the box isn't the longest lol
So it's not flush still, but at least it's in and not moving

------------------

Now my front driver's side speaker hasn't worked for months.

Is this a common fault?
Best way to check what's wrong with it?

take the door card off and check the wiring hasn't come undone/corroded, shouldn't have done, If the wires are still touching the right contactors, grab another speaker to test it on, or even the one from passenger side, as you know that one works.
Billy Dean

9th Jul 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the tips guys.

lol even before i had a chance to check the speaker it started working again BUT check this out...
it only works when the key is in the ignition on the 1st click. And that's the only click that the stereo now works on!
When I turn to the 2nd click the stereo goes off and it stays off as I start the engine.

The stereo and the faulty speaker only seem to work on the 1st click when the car is off. This seems to have started since I re-connected the ISO at the back the other day.

Aaargghh!!!! What is going on!?

New Poll