corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Expired domains

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Expired domains
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 12 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have a .com which has just expired, how long is it before things stop working (i.e. DNS)? And is there any possibility of someone else snapping up the expired domain, or do they give the owner a certain amount of 'grace' to renew?
Dom

23rd Jul 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually you'll get a grace period of around a month but it depends on the TLD (.eu/.de i believe require you to renew so many weeks prior to the expiry).
Whittie

23rd Jul 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had one that expired, and now its on some fucking holding page forsale, literally been 6 weeks now and its still on it. It says its still owned by me on the whois.
John

23rd Jul 12 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen with lots of .com's that if you don't renew in time, a company that's somehow affiliated with the registrar buys it, then offers it for auction.
Nismo

23rd Jul 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you had 60 days, but that might just be with nominet.
Dom

24th Jul 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
I had one that expired, and now its on some fucking holding page forsale, literally been 6 weeks now and its still on it. It says its still owned by me on the whois.

I've seen it happen but you'll still be able to renew. After the grace period the domain goes to redemption, whereby the registrar holds the domain for a further X days (usually 30); again you can renew the domain but you'll usually be charged an additional fee.
Only after redemption is the domain removed and given back to the domain-pool (ie - it's up for grabs for anyone).

So essentially you can have up to 2 months from expiry to sort your domain.

Edit - Although best idea is just to setup auto-renew If you don't want a domain then you can cancel it with your registrar and let it expire.

[Edited on 24-07-2012 by Dom]

New Poll