corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Oyster cards

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Oyster cards
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jul 12 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wife and I were in London yesterday/today so we decided to save some cash on travel by getting a couple of Oyster cards and putting some credit on each one.

Not only did they save us a lot of money on buses/tube/trains but it makes life so much easier just touching in/out instead of having a zillion tickets etc. I also observed that no-one actually buys a bus ticket in London they all just use their Oyster cards.

It's a shame that sort of system isn't in use round my way (Midlands).

BTW - does anyone know of a good app for the iPhone for tracking balance/journey history etc.? I installed some free ad supported one but I'm not entirely convinced it updates properly.
James

22nd Jul 12 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep Oyster cards are really handy.

Don't know of any apps but I've got auto top-up on mine which adds £20 on every time it drops below £5.
Jamie Walby

22nd Jul 12 at 07:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a proper oyster card app that does exactly what you want, Sam, though it might just be for the underground. Use it myself. You can calculate cost of journey too.
oceansoul

22nd Jul 12 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Yep Oyster cards are really handy.

Don't know of any apps but I've got auto top-up on mine which adds £20 on every time it drops below £5.

I also have the auto top up. Means i can never run out of money on there and dont need to worry about auto top ups.
ashleh

22nd Jul 12 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have mango cards which do the same thing in east mids.
Russ

22nd Jul 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't even have buses in norwich and the trains are steam
Generation

22nd Jul 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even cheaper when you have a staff oyster card
Cole

22nd Jul 12 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found oyster cards expensive if you use them to just hop on and hop off the underground worked out cheaper to buy a day card
oceansoul

22nd Jul 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get a travelcard on your oyster. Also i believe, if your using oyster and go over the price of a day travel card, it automatically "makes" your card a travel card for that day.

If that makes sense.
ed

22nd Jul 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You always pay the cheapest fare with Oyster so you don't end up paying over the price of a travel card on it.
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
There's a proper oyster card app that does exactly what you want, Sam, though it might just be for the underground. Use it myself. You can calculate cost of journey too.

Do you know what it's called Jamie? There seem to be a few different ones in the app store and whilst I don't mind paying for an app, I want to make sure it's not shit lol
Jamie Walby

23rd Jul 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one i have is called Oyster Balance but there is also one called Oyster Mobile.

I have had a look on the App store and I can't really tell the difference between them.
mwg

23rd Jul 12 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think there's any point getting an Oyster unless you are there for at least 7 days or go regularly. I've always just got day travel cards for the odd couple days I go for. Did get an Oyster card once only for there to be some kind of fuck up and I then had the pleasure of trying to deal with London Underground staff who seem to the most miserable unhelpful shits you've ever met.

[Edited on 23-07-2012 by mwg]
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Jul 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We pretty much halved our travel costs on the underground/buses with the Oyster cards, we used them for 2 days so it would have made buying a travelcard more expensive.
mattk

23rd Jul 12 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope never to have to use an oyster card
James

23rd Jul 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
I hope never to have to use an oyster card

Why?
Jamie Walby

24th Jul 12 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
We pretty much halved our travel costs on the underground/buses with the Oyster cards, we used them for 2 days so it would have made buying a travelcard more expensive.

Same. I quite often am in London for more than a day at a time visiting friends and it doesn't pay to buy a travel card each day I'm up there. if I go for a day I also don't have to mince about buying a travel card, just use the Oyster straight away + with auto top up its convenient.
Robbo

24th Jul 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oyster will always at least match the chespest you'd pay buying a travelcard but works out shitloads cheaper for singles and buses etc.

Also you can load a travelcard on there (ie a month one) which then makes travelling outside of your zones even cheaper. Amazing example of simple yet brilliant process
Sam
Premium Member

24th Jul 12 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot you lived in London Robbo, I was going to say I could have popped in for a cup of tea but then I think you were in Oxfordshire when I was in London
Robbo

24th Jul 12 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i was at home for a few days as was working from newbury office and was in the midst of moving flats

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Oyster cards 23 database queries in 0.0157719 seconds