corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Brake advice needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Brake advice needed
gary2097

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 12 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have v6 fronts and also a rear disc conversion. I need new discs and pads and am
Looking at the ferodo ds2500 pads and ferodo discs as I'm told they're te best to get the thing is they work out at a few hundred quid so not sure whether to sell the calipers etc and buy some wilwood 4pots or similar ? What are people's thoughts?
gary2097

3rd Aug 12 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone?
Dave

3rd Aug 12 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are happy enough with the current setup you could save money by using cheaper plain discs all round and normal pads on the rear, meaning you are only shelling out for the front DS2500's.

What engine is in and what do you use the car for? DS2500's could be overkill if it's only used on the road.
gary2097

3rd Aug 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the minute its a 1.4 sport but in the future its going to be a c20let or z20let it was originally a second car so been spending money on it when i can but now its a daily runner. it will eventually be a weekend toy with maybe a few track days etc.. I dont mind spending the money on ferodo discs and pads just want to know is it worth it or should i spend a little bit more and get 4pots ? or will there be no difference in performance for my money hope this makes sense
lol
AshGSi

3rd Aug 12 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best off with the 4 pots tbh fella. Ive heard the DS2500's are good at first, but tend to leave a lot of residue/shit on the discs and tend to underperform afterwards. I had black diamond drilled/grooved discs and black diamond predator pads on my z20let mk4 astra and they were awesome. But that said, im currently driving a phase 2 c20let corsa b, v6/turbo fronts a disc'd rear, standard discs and pads and stops fine so id be happy just sticking to that and saving the money for fuel.

[Edited on 03-08-2012 by AshGSi]
davegreen
Premium Member

4th Aug 12 at 06:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im using Mintex 1144 pads on 2 of my Corsas, Had them on my vec B before only using plain discs either gen vaux or pagid they work great for me on the road. tried the ferodos on the corsa b and vec b better than standard but not as good as the mintex. 288disc on the b and 308discs on the c. the vec b had 308 and wheighed in at 1800kgs! they stoped that great. new fluid and braided hoses helps pedal feel.
gary2097

4th Aug 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate I'll take a look at the Mintex ones any one else got any info?
corsadonk
Premium Member

4th Aug 12 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the genuine vauxhall stuff, very good quality and not a massive price. But if it's just a 1.4 I'd go 256mm with a bias valve, with off the pattern pads. Then when you fit a turbo, go 4 pots. It's tricky get wheels to fit over them, I found Comp MO5's good for clearance.
gary2097

4th Aug 12 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldnt want to fit smaller brakes to be honest its either the ferodo/mintex discs and pads and keep the v6 brakes or spend a few hundred more and get 4 pots. I just want to know what people think i should do. i dont want to spend £250 on discs and pads then find out they arent good enough when i fit the turbo
gary2097

5th Aug 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Dave

6th Aug 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save money on the discs for a start. Unless its a fashion thing spending on drilled/grooved discs offer nothing in performance over plain GM/Pagid/Mintex etc.
gary2097

6th Aug 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okidoki thanks for all the comments think I'm
Gonna go with ds2500 pads and plain discs and keep the v6 calipers etc should give me enough stopping power even with the c20let

New Poll