corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » body shop/sprayer people in here!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author body shop/sprayer people in here!
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Aug 12 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Did you not read what I wrote? It looked fine at first but flaked off 3 years later are you suggesting not to pay for 3 years?

Was in reply to the first part of your post. Obviously if it looked fine at the time you woildnt know any better.

Flaking off after 3 years seems weird, never seen that. how would moisture get through a layer of paint?
Corsa_Sport21

12th Aug 12 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But after 3 years Steve?? Thats a very long time for water to get under the paint. Would have thought it would happen much quicker due to weather, washing car etc.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, paint obviously failed somewhere along the line, and im drawing a connection with the price
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc he also took it to a local vw approved bodyshop that iv used before in the past, and they seemed to think it was due to the quality of the paint
Corsa_Sport21

12th Aug 12 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just find it hard to believe that it took 3 years.

What about stone chips and the likes?? Can they be blamed in any way at all??
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the roof?
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it actually started going around the top of the boot rear of the roof first, but eventually spread everywhere, id say it was about 18 months before it first started appearing, 3 years until it started everywhere
Corsa_Sport21

12th Aug 12 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its possible. Was talking about other area's more at risk.
Corsa_Sport21

12th Aug 12 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it possible you are just making this up Steve??

At 1st it was 3/4 years when it started flaking off, now its down to 18months.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes im making it up just to win an argument on the internet that is pretty obvious to start with

it was 3 years when it started to spread everywhere, it was about 18 months before it first started appearing, this is going back about 12 years now so forgive me if my memory isnt recalling events perfectly and quickly, i completely forgot he even had it looked at by a body shop until i posted it

[Edited on 12-08-2012 by Steve]
Eck
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had a knock in January, I got a new bonnet and slam panel, with the bonnet, wings, bumper/splitter and bottom of the doors sprayed and it cost me £830. Seemed like a good job to start with, but now noticing shocking errors, like spraying the splitter whilst it was on the fucking bumper, so the paint has cracked around it You don't always get what you pay for. For something like this, I'd go by quality and reputation.

[Edited on 12-08-2012 by Eck]
sam-6

12th Aug 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by baza31
I disagree with you get what you pay for . It's all down to how good the painters skill is , not his price. He could quote you any figure and it doesn't mean you'll get a decent job.

What I ment mate was you pay fuck all for a job then you proberly get a shot job! Best thing I to do in my opinion I to look around ask what place are good and what places arnt!
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
When I had a knock in January, I got a new bonnet and slam panel, with the bonnet, wings, bumper/splitter and bottom of the doors sprayed and it cost me £830. Seemed like a good job to start with, but now noticing shocking errors, like spraying the splitter whilst it was on the fucking bumper, so the paint has cracked around it You don't always get what you pay for. For something like this, I'd go by quality and reputation.

[Edited on 12-08-2012 by Eck]

yep it can go the other way too, paying more doesnt guarantee you a good job, the safest way is to go to a well respected bodyshop that people have already used that charges a decent rate to reflect the products and work involved
Corsa_Sport21

12th Aug 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do have a good reputation around here though. Which is probably why Eck chose them in the 1st place.

It just goes to show that even paying a premium at a so called good bodyshop, can still lead to a shit job.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its still quite close to the job date, usually they have a 1 year at least warranty on the work they do, try taking it back?
baza31

12th Aug 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Its £500+ vat for 3.5 litres of solid base coat. Metallics are 10% more and pearls 20% more.
Then lacquer as said is £500 for kit.
These are retail prices. If I did a repaint for £1k I might as well give you £200 to go elsewhere.

£500 in lacquer ? And same for 3.5l base coat? does your supplier wear black and White stripey jumper and a balaclava ?

well done baza. moan about people who talk shit then try and tell tom he's getting done over.

don't post shit if you don't like it.

Explain how that is talking shit? If he's paying £500 for lacquer and £350 for base coat per car he is getting ripped off and that's a fact. Ring round paint suppliers tomorrow and ask how much a ltr of lacquer is then come back and tell me who's talking shit.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

12th Aug 12 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you think shops sell products for the price they buy them. I said that was retail.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
baza31

12th Aug 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
Do you think shops sell products for the price they buy them. I said that was retail.

Obviously they don't . Where did I say that or anything relating to that. You quoted those figures in relation to the price of the job. Trade or retail them prices are inflated massively .
tobyc20xe

13th Aug 12 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 2.1
How much would you say is reasonable Toby?

Also where abouts in Bradford are you based. Could try the bodyshop where I had my old van done.

u2ud
Rich H

13th Aug 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

internet experts all over the place in here!

All I will say is that many people's idea of 'mint' 'great job' 'immaculate' etc fall massively short of mine / Tom's and others idea of the same phrase. Seeing car's at a car show rather than just in photos on the internet helps to back this point up quite regularly for example!

The amount of cars I work on which have had paintwork carried out too also tend to allow me to decide what bodyshops are / aren't any good - most aren't any good, especially the cheap ones!
Ian W

13th Aug 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
internet experts all over the place in here!

All I will say is that many people's idea of 'mint' 'great job' 'immaculate' etc fall massively short of mine / Tom's and others idea of the same phrase. Seeing car's at a car show rather than just in photos on the internet helps to back this point up quite regularly for example!

This x 100

Seeing 'show cars' in person and having an eye for detail really shows how things look so much better in photographs, seen some shocking stuff over the years

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » body shop/sprayer people in here! 24 database queries in 0.0158529 seconds