corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refurbed my RB5 alloys and Calipers....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Refurbed my RB5 alloys and Calipers....
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
   1st Sep 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've had a week off work and only managed to do one f***ing wheel and Caliper

I bought (intending to do all 4!)

3 x Grey primer
3 x Rover Stone Grey metallic paint
2 x Clear Laquer
1 x Hammerite smooth red
1 x Hammerite smooth white
1 x Hammerite smooth black (can)

I've ended up using 1 3/4 tins of primer and 2 tins of colour for just one rim had to use filler on the edges as it was in an awful state and TBH still isn't perfect. It literally took me about 12 hours just to do this and I'll be damned if I'm doing the rest!!! Proper pain to do properly so I'll be getting the other 3 rims done by a mobile guy. I'll do the other calipers as they weren't difficult just fiddly.

Could I hell find a place for the stand so put it here and left the scissor jack in loose on the sill for support

Replaced the tyre as it had this bugger in and was worn on the edge..

All done Hub has been sprayed in black which you can't see. Excuse the tyre grease.

End of the day I'm just tidying it up to sell so don't need it my type of perfect.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good, just a shame it took so damn long I guess. Not something I'd have the patience for. Did you get a little tin of white paint to go over the 'subaru' on the caliper? lol

[Edited on 01-09-2012 by Brett]
Corsa_Sport21

1st Sep 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell, i manage to do all 4 wheels in a day.lol. Kerb damage dosn't look that bad tbh, i reckon you would have got away with a good sanding down and a few coats of high build primer. Both have turned out decent though, massive improvement. Just bash on with the wheels 1st then the calipers. It gets easier once you get the hang of it and know what you will get away with when rubbing them down etc.

[Edited on 01-09-2012 by Corsa_Sport21]
CORSA NUT

1st Sep 12 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mate yeah proper fiddly to get the red in between the white raised lettering without them running into each other worth it though as it looks good.

Honestly don't think it would take me that long but having an 18 month old doesn't help as I was in and out doing it all over about 4 days. Did the first coat on the calipers at 5pm and had to wait 4 hours before I could do the next coat which at 9 was too late so had to do them the next day which, stuff like that made it drag on
CORSA NUT

1st Sep 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Bloody hell, i manage to do all 4 wheels in a day.lol. Kerb damage dosn't look that bad tbh, i reckon you would have got away with a good sanding down and a few coats of high build primer. Both have turned out decent though, massive improvement. Just bash on with the wheels 1st then the calipers. It gets easier once you get the hang of it and know what you will get away with when rubbing them down etc.

[Edited on 01-09-2012 by Corsa_Sport21]

I know what you mean mate but I'm not paying out more for paint etc when it won't cost me
That much more for a mobile guy to do it! Just hope he can match the colour?!

I suppose taking just one wheel off made it worse as ideally doing them all at once is easier.
Colin

1st Sep 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like a good job just finish them, next ones will be quicker
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I done my front 2 last weekend.

1 x Primer
3 x Colour
1 x Lacquer

Sanded, filled, sanded, primer after work Fri.
Painted, dried, lacquer, lacquer on Sat.
Polished, waxed Mon.
Tyres fitted Tue.

Stick at them.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
CORSA NUT

1st Sep 12 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dan that's a really good finish

Thanks guys I might do the other front and see how I go
Jamie-C

1st Sep 12 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't wax fresh paint.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Shouldn't wax fresh paint.

Never had any problems in the past.

Corsa Nut, sand them down, go get tyres taken off, fill sand, prime, paint, lacquer, tyres back on, should be able to do them over a weekend and calipers inbetween painting.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Refurbed my RB5 alloys and Calipers.... 24 database queries in 0.0117519 seconds