corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » speedo cable

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author speedo cable
jonnyken

User status: Offline
19th Aug 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive bought a corsa with a redtop fitted already. the speedo doesnt work so switched clocks over and didint cure so must be the cable. what im looking to know will i buy a cable for corsa or cavalier redtop cable?

thanks
jonny
random dav
Premium Member

20th Aug 12 at 06:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need the Corsa cable, make sure there are no sharp bends, etc in the cable.

Also check for nicks in the outer sleeve as this can snag on the cable.

[Edited on 20-08-2012 by random dav]

WRLFC !

Project cars
jonnyken

20th Aug 12 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks hopefully get a new one tomorrow.
Vauxdan88

23rd Aug 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also need a transducer mate,it's something that screws into the gearbox and converts the mechanical drive from the box,to electronic for the clocks. I'm looking for one myself for my xe corsa
jonnyken

26th Aug 12 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont need a transducer, the box is mechanical as are the clocks. Just the cable got one in local motor factors for 13 quid
Vauxdan88

27th Aug 12 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure? I was pretty sure the Corsa clocks are electronic?
corsadonk
Premium Member

27th Aug 12 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not all clocks are electric. Most early ones are cable drive.
Vauxdan88

27th Aug 12 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh right so what do you think mine are? It's a 98 1.4 sport
Nic Barnes

27th Aug 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they start at 0mph they are electric, start at 10mph they are cable.
john_redtop

27th Aug 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After 97 (post) they went to electric pre 97 are cable
Vauxdan88

27th Aug 12 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok any idea what I need to do then to get mine working?
john_redtop

27th Aug 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I swapped my clocks from electronic to cable as I had all the bits already if you wanna keep electronic clocks you will have to go to vaux and get the transducer been told there about £50 what gearbox you running F20?
Vauxdan88

27th Aug 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah f20. Someone else just told me I'd only need just an electric speedo drive off a 1.4 8v Corsa,then wire it in wire for wire,correct? Or not...
Vauxdan88

27th Aug 12 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Infact would it be easier quicker and cheaper just to swap to cable clocks? Just been looking on the bay and can get some cable clocks for around 15 posted. I could just fit them then get a cable,which am I right in thinking will just screw into the box then into back of clocks? Would everything else work still, i.e fuel gauge,temp gauge,rev counter... Also thing is,my clocks only go to 130,obviously the cars going to go faster than 130 so what other clocks could I use with say at least 140 on? Sorry for long reply mate
john_redtop

28th Aug 12 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I used the cable driven clocks from my old corsa then you will need a cable just one for a corsa and a manual driven Speedo sender for the gear box fuel gauge etc will work fine still also I got some tigra clocks there go up to 140 also corsa gsi clocks do and am not sure but corsa sport clocks might aswell
john_redtop

28th Aug 12 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One off these pushes into the box then is fasned down with a little bolt http://i38.tinypic.com/o6gp47.jpg

Then the cable screws onto it then pushes onto the back of the clocks http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu307/hay_lewis_68/DSC00597.jpg

Then clocks with this on the back http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/adunishop/bigMirror1/QH/QH55.jpg
Vauxdan88

29th Aug 12 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate. Mine is a sport (1.4 originally) but no,only got 130 clocks. Going scrappy tomorrow anyway so Il look out for some clocks and any chance I might find these parts for speedo?
john_redtop

29th Aug 12 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You will get the cable off the corsa you get the clocks out of not sure on the Speedo drive as not sure what other cars use them unless there is any c20xe's in I got mine from vauxhall think it was only £14 you cold just take the one out the cors you get the bits off and see how you get on it might work
jonnyken

3rd Sep 12 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got speedo cable. fitted it and worked fine. i took it a run down the road and hit 115 and the cable broke.

not sure if the corsa cable is not up for the job or its due to the way i ran the cable. i ran it from gearbox then between the engine and inlet, through hole in bulk head to clocks. im going to get another cable should i order another corsa one or one of say a cavalier?
john_redtop

4th Sep 12 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had my corsa XE for 4 year now useing the standard corsa cable never had any issues I've had mine off the clock (private road) and its fine I think its stretched a little as the needle bounces a little bit untill about 60mph. I would say it could be the way you ran it you don't want any tight bends or it getting jammed between stuff if the ehgine moves a little bit
jonnyken

4th Sep 12 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What way have you ran yours through the engine bay?
john_redtop

4th Sep 12 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure off the top of ma head I'll have a look when I get in from work
jayy.cfg

4th Sep 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fitted mine when i had cable clocks and it snapped after 3miles.u need to make sure it screws in the geardrive properly in the gearbox and then run it freely around the back of the bay makin sure it wont catch on anything.

i got pissed off with it at the time so i interested in digi dash.
jonnyken

6th Sep 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorted. i stripped away as much as i could so i could see behind the clocks when they were in. the cable was hitting against the piping to the side airvent and kinking. simple fix and ran it over the top of the piping

New Poll