corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » SQL Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author SQL Help
Nismo

User status: Offline
31st Oct 12 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok a little bit stuck.

I have this query that I run for reporting,

code:

$query="SELECT cases.*, cases.id AS casesid, cases.name AS subject, users.id, users.user_name, accounts.name, accounts.id
FROM users, accounts, cases
WHERE cases.created_by = users.id
AND cases.account_id = accounts.id
AND accounts.name LIKE '%$customer%'
AND cases.status LIKE '$status'
AND cases.type LIKE '$type'
AND cases.date_entered >= '$from'
AND cases.date_entered <= '$to' ORDER BY cases.date_entered ASC";

This returns all cases between a certain date range, When i row it out onto a table i have 2 fields that need to pull the username from the users table, the cases table contains created_by and modified_user_id which has the users.id

code:
cases.created_by = users.id

lets me replace there users.id with users.user_name however i cant use user_name for 2 rows as it will not pull both out?

Not sure if i have explained this very well.

[Edited on 31-10-2012 by Nismo]
AndyKent

31st Oct 12 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get what you're asking.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Oct 12 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a JOIN .

Can do you give us a few sample rows from each table?

SELECT * FROM users LIMIT 10;

etc.

u2u it if its real data.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Oct 12 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SELECT cases.*, users.user_name AS created_username FROM cases INNER JOIN users ON cases.created_by = users.id LIMIT 10;

No WHERE stuff in that so it'll give you the wrong rows but the user name information should be correct for whoever has created the case.
James

1st Nov 12 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't understand your question but you definitely need some joins otherwise your query will render unexpected results.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 12 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I understand it the case table has user ids in which need the retrieval of the username from the users table.

Slightly more complicated because the user id is in there twice and its a different user each time, ie.

case

caseid | createdby | modifiedby
101 | 4 | 6

user

userid | name
1 | ian
2 | dave
3 | bob
4 | frank
5 | lisa
6 | tony

and he wants to see

101 | frank | tony
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 12 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SELECT c.*, u1.user_name AS created_username, u2.user_name AS modified_username FROM cases c
INNER JOIN users u1 ON c.created_by = u1.id
INNER JOIN users u2 ON c.modified_by = u2.id
LIMIT 1

Something like that although the field names might need correcting
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 12 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That won't display any rows if there is no user id in either created_by/modified_by field which I suspect will be a problem for modified_by, try that with LEFT JOIN on the second JOIN and you'll see NULL where there is no valid modified_by id.
James

1st Nov 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this should do that.

SELECT C.CaseId, U1.Name AS CreatedBy, U2.Name AS ModifiedBy
FROM Cases C
JOIN Users U1 ON C.CreatedBy = U1.UserId
JOIN Users U2 ON C.ModifiedBy = U2.UserId
James

1st Nov 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS Ian
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 12 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll still need work - I would think modified_by is going to sometimes be empty.
Nismo

1st Nov 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, Yeah Ian summed up what i was trying to say in a lot less work

I was reading up on the JOIN, but then came across inner join, right join and left join and got brain frazzled

The modified by is never empty as when a case is logged it auto updates the modified_by at the same time to be the initial user.

Cheers guys I will have a little play around this morning and report back what I get
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Nov 12 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If modified_by is never empty you can use an inner join. The only difference is that if you want to join, inner won't display the row unless the join condition is met, for example:

case
caseid | createdby | modifiedby
101 | 1 | 1
102 | 1 | 4
103 | 2 | 1
104 | 2 | null

user
userid | name
1 | ian
2 | dave
3 | tony

no user id 4 in that table yet

The inner join query would give you

101 | ian | ian
103 | dave | ian
104 | dave | null

The outer join would give you

101 | ian | ian
102 | ian | null
103 | dave | ian
104 | dave | null
null | tony | null

See how on 102 it gives you null instead of user 4 because there is no user 4. You also get null cases and user tony even though tony has no cases. Its just variations on the same theme, the type of join just dictates whether all fields need to be present or not and if not, which ones from which tables.

The left is the same but wouldn't give you 104 because of the null in modifiedby

If you always have data in modified_by then that makes the query more simple. Just make sure someone in the future isn't going to modify the code that writes the row initially because your queries will start not displaying those rows. At least if you get the right type of join that will stand up to anyone dicking about with in the future who doesn't know what they're doing. You might find someone in the future will realise that writing modified by when the case hasn't been modified yet isn't actually correct.

That's all MySQL specific btw. Microsoft stuff is similar but a bit more restrictive in terms of syntax, I'd need to look that up, can't do it from memory. Needs nesting with brackets I think.

As an aside, modified_by should really be normalised in its own table, that way you could have dates that the stuff was modified against all the additional rows and you'd end up with a bit of an audit trail of all the modifications. If you needed it in a single row like you're currently seeing, you could order by date descending and limit 1 on the query so you only see the newest. Looks the same as you have right now but its far more powerful and you don't lose data like you are now.
Nismo

2nd Nov 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ian thats spot on never got round to having a look yesterday hopefully fit it in this afternoon

New Poll