corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine predicament
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 12 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have to agree with everyone else buy a second hand 1.2 and you could have it in within a days work.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-VAUXHALL-CORSA-ENGINE-1-2-8v-SINGLE-POINT-INJECTION-/290760883052?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b2b2fb6c

there you go £150 and delivery in that price, 82k miles and looks clean enough
VINCEYBOY

3rd Nov 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
just find a second hand 1.2 for £50 and throw it in.

you've clearly never done an engine replacement. lol
VINCEYBOY

3rd Nov 12 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's a days work for a very efficient mechanic. i can almost guarantee you will run into problems. it will not be a one day thing at all if you do it yourself and your not mechanically knowledgable. it can be done yes, but definately not in a day. i'm not saying dont do it. go for it, it's relatively straight forward seen as your never really going into the block or head itself. find a private mechanic. My mate who is a fully qualified full time mechanic did my head gasket for me for £60 and a crate of magners.
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in which case get a couple garages to quote you for a head gasket and take the chance, id say 99% chance it wont have any issues ...... its a common thing to happen and replace
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

3rd Nov 12 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VINCEYBOY
quote:
Originally posted by AK

your new here
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Nov 12 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Seriously Ian there's not a lot about! Everyone down here has 150,000 miles or are up for £1000!

I can have a complete car here by Wednesday for £200, £55 to pallet the engine down to you.

I thought that was a bit expensive, hence saying find one locally, but its not a grand or that mileage, or essential you find it near you. Just not 55 quid in delivery if you do.

But if you're stuck, pay me £200 and I'll give you any number of them.
Christopher

3rd Nov 12 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have only got a good cash in hand quote for 300 :/ Ian il spend another few days seeing what I can do and I might have to give you a message! :/
Jamie-C

3rd Nov 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
that's a days work for a very efficient mechanic. i can almost guarantee you will run into problems. it will not be a one day thing at all if you do it yourself and your not mechanically knowledgable. it can be done yes, but definately not in a day. i'm not saying dont do it. go for it, it's relatively straight forward seen as your never really going into the block or head itself. find a private mechanic. My mate who is a fully qualified full time mechanic did my head gasket for me for £60 and a crate of magners.
Could have it in and out in a day no bother, its a like for like engine so it would very easily be done in a day with an average tool box.
reecegsi

3rd Nov 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

C20xe can be put in within a day so dont see why a 1.2 wouldnt personally i would replace 1.2 there pennies down here infact i have weighed in 2 of them which were perfect but gutless lol
Sean

3rd Nov 12 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Will find someone with one

Fair enough, have a read of this and if you still fancy a pop yourself I can always print you off a step by step from autodata at work (not the easiest of guides to follow)
kennySRi

3rd Nov 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneyginger
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AK

your new here

was going to say something similar.

As for fitting a 1.2, anybody who is just slightly mechanically minded could get one in with no troubles. It is like for like and apart from a few seized bolts it is VERY possible in a days work.

I would also personally go for that option and if you're wanting to have a rebuilt XE eventually then with a working car again you can buy one and do it slowly and correctly.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 00:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Have only got a good cash in hand quote for 300

That link Dez posted was cheaper than that.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And yeah, don't constrain yourself to doing it in a day.

If it goes well, a few hours. If it doesn't and you're expecting the car back, pain in the ass.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Ian]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Engine predicament 23 database queries in 0.0130758 seconds