corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GTC - Fuel Economy

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra GTC - Fuel Economy
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Nov 12 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Posting on behalf of a friend who bought a brand new Astra GTC earlier in the year.

He's basically had low 20's out of it since owning it which he feels is excessive based on the performance of the car. After wondering for a while whether his car had a dodgy map from the factory, or a mechanical fault causing the poor MPG - he's finally got bothered enough to look into it to find many people seem to have the same issue.

He's not ragging the car around on boost all the time, his drive to work is mainly 40-60mph A roads in traffic and he's toyed with higher octane fuel to see if that yielded significant improvements.

I half suggested a remap this morning, maybe a custom map could be produced to improve the fuel economy with little to no focus on performance gain. I think he's going to look into it properly, but having access to CS I thought I'd come and ask a vauxhall question for once

So, does anybody own one of these cars or know much about them? How are the remap solutions for this engine etc?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
scoob
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the car brand new.? They tend to loosen up after some mileage is put on them and it may get abit better.
Stu_22

9th Nov 12 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the 1.6 turbo if so they are thursty I have a vxr corsa you have to have a light right foot to get anywhere near 30mpg thats in a smaller car
deano87

9th Nov 12 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does standard say?

It's under warranty. Just get Vaux to have a look make sure it's all running fine.
sc0ott

9th Nov 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is your mate andrew
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Nov 12 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car was brand new aye, but it's got 7500miles on it now. The economy was expected to improve, but it's been nothing tangible.

It's the 1600 turbo aye.

Parkers says 39mpg

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian W

9th Nov 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Is your mate andrew

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Nov 12 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get low 20s from my Z20LER, the way to test it is to get on a motorway, reset the count and put the cruise on at 50. If it gets in to the 40s there, its fine.

I would expect it to be better than an older 2 litre but not sure on the gearing / weight / driving style, those could all affect it.
Ben G

9th Nov 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need a lot more than 7500 miles on the engine to acheive book mpg figures.

Expect 20's round town and mid 30's on motorways.
belton

10th Nov 12 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
The car was brand new aye, but it's got 7500miles on it now. The economy was expected to improve, but it's been nothing tangible.

It's the 1600 turbo aye.

Parkers says 39mpg

I think Parkers say an astra vxr does about 22urban and 40 extra urban.
When I owned mine I never ever ever touched about about 37mpg on the motor way
I would take what Parkers/manufacturers claim with a pinch of salt
Just -5 of there figure and its probably slightly more accurate lol

[Edited on 10-11-2012 by belton]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra GTC - Fuel Economy 24 database queries in 0.0105841 seconds