corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rover 25 I Know!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rover 25 I Know!!
Charlie12345

User status: Offline
20th Nov 12 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head Gasket I know there common faults.

how can i check, my header leaks water near everyday now. it doesnt over heat just sits on the middle like always.

I dont think its leaking anywhere but i will test this tommorow ill fill it up stick cardboard under the engine. the fan comes on. i cant think of anything else..

1L Nick

20th Nov 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A quick check u can do. Is fill the coolant bottle to the top with water then start the car an if it starts to bubble a lot then I'd say head gasket has gone
johnhara1

21st Nov 12 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HG is very easy to do on these, as is the timing belt replacement. I've done a few.

Do your heaters work?

Is their oil or water contamination?

Try bleeding the coolant system up first, you may have an air lock. There is a 8mm bleed screw in the solid water pipe which runs alongside the head on the right hand side.

Loosen this off and allow all to come out the system. Top the coolant up when the engine is cold.
corsa-torque

21st Nov 12 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As John said, easy fix on these engines, I've also done a few.
Check under the oil cap and dipstick for mayo aswell as the other checks mentioned above
Charlie12345

22nd Nov 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im only getting hot air out of the heaters :s...

Also no mayo crap under the filler cap or anything suspect like tht havent yet done the bubbling test.

Johnjourno

23rd Nov 12 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you mean your header leaks? it is kicking coolant out? It is a pressure cap and they are known to fail, you can carry out a coolant system pressure test, and can also use the kit to test the cap is holding pressure

For me, I'd nick a few caps whilst at a scrappy and try them, if you have no water in oil or oil in water, and not overheating, you're fine

Your heaters are cable operated, and the valve to turn the heat off is under your bonnet near the bulkhead, very visible and you wont need to remove anything to see it. Get a mate to turn the knob and see if the cable is moving

Another thing to mention is the heater knobs are notorious for cracking and you may think it's turning, but its not as its not gripping the shaft

Any problems feel free to PM me (I did 4 years as a MG Rover tech)
Charlie12345

24th Nov 12 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right...Checked oil cap and there is the mayo stuff on it and also a tiny bit on the dipstick

not overheating...Yet? lol

1L Nick

25th Nov 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U won't necessarily get water in oil or oil in the water at the start of a failed head gasket. The water cud b goin into the one or more of the cylinders so I'd do the bubble test an leave it running for 10mins then if there's no excess bubbles I'd say ur head gasket is fine (like I sed up there). An to the oil on the cap cud just b dwn to u doin short start stop journeys...
Johnjourno

25th Nov 12 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is on the cap, not necessarily head gasket, could be just condensation, but if it is on the dip stick I would say early signs of head gasket, they don't need to overheat to say head gasket, and you are better off sorting it now, before it does develop the full symptoms and overheat, as they can melt the head, as the last one I did had
Charlie12345

25th Nov 12 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much i looking at?

labour time?
Johnjourno

26th Nov 12 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're the wrong end of the country for me, Garages tend to take your eyes out since the demise of Rover

I charged a lad £450 which included, recovery of car, pressure test of head, sourcing a replacement head and having it pressure tested and skimmed, flushing out the coolant and oil systems, new water pump, new thermostat, new cambelt and auxilary drive belt, new head bolts, complete head gasket up gasket replacement

Head gasket replacement I think used to be 4.5hrs labour, I personally would expect to pay more than £250 including a pressure test and skim
Charlie12345

28th Nov 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pity your not closer!

New Poll