corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Insuring an Engagement Ring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insuring an Engagement Ring
Mertin

User status: Offline
20th Jan 13 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just recently got engaged over the festives and the ring was away getting resized and she just got it back today. Need to get it insured, anyone got any reccomendations for insurers or am I best off adding it to the house insurance?
Shes scared to wear it just now as I cant get it insured until Im home from offshore on Tuesday and get my documents and give them a call for a quote (shes mega paranoid about things like this!)
Bart

20th Jan 13 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have reasonable house insurance, they normally cover up to ~£10k worth of 'precious' contents (such as rings and jewellery), with the most expensive item being £3k.

Just typical figures, but I would start with a phone call to your home insurance.
If you don't have it, it may only be a small figure to upgrade as well.

*edit* and congrats btw

[Edited on 20-01-2013 by Bart]
Mertin

20th Jan 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers. Cant remember what all I went for with home insurance, dont think I did go for personal belongings such as phone etc or precious contents cause dont really have anything over a specific amount. Tv being most expensive thing probably. Head was burst when getting insurance quotes, first time buyer and first time having to deal with home insurance
deano87

20th Jan 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you tried where you bought it from? They normally do some form of cover. Would replace like or like too, whereas home insurance would either give you a cheque or vouchers, if you get my drift.
Jambo

20th Jan 13 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have mine on the house policy, but I was wondering about a specific one just earlier this afternoon.

Congrats btw!
Bart

20th Jan 13 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Have you tried where you bought it from? They normally do some form of cover. Would replace like or like too, whereas home insurance would either give you a cheque or vouchers, if you get my drift.

Very possibly.
If the home insurance policy is 'new for old' (as mine is), you'll get either a brand new replacement of the same money you paid for it, they wont take into account wear and tear / depreciation.
That means if its £500 cheaper in a different shop a year down the line, you'll have £500 in your back pocket.

If you have content insurance (which you will), theres likely to be something in place for jewellery.

[Edited on 20-01-2013 by Bart]
ed

20th Jan 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People seem to like insuring things multiple times - listen to Bart and check your contents insurance.
Nismo

20th Jan 13 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our is covered on the house insurance, make sure its covered under items that leave the house, sometimes policys only cover items upto say 500 in value that leave the house, we had to make sure ours was covered for a couple of K, outside the house.
Mertin

21st Jan 13 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was expecting the plce I bought it from (Rox) to try and flog me cover and insurance and they never, wasnt till I was out the shop I remembered about it as I was going to price them up about it. Thought it was odd they never tried to flog it on an expensive ring, H Samuels do it for a £30 watch!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Insuring an Engagement Ring 23 database queries in 0.0125570 seconds