corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car choices

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car choices
Daimo B

User status: Offline
25th Mar 13 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never thought i'd need to ask this, but this place always had thoughts from everyone, so people may be able to offer suggestions here.

Need a runaround car, 1.4/1.6 petrol, £4k ish max (prefer cheaper as a runaround).

Newer than 2002, and pokey enough to pull a trailer+motorcycle, all tools, spare wheels etc (so be able to pull around say 400-500kg of bike and kit) but still relatively fun to drive (currently a 1.25 Fezza Mk5 5 door, rollin like a pimp )

I mostly do 10 min drives to a train station one week in four, and otherwise potter around locally, and also longer drives to race circuits so got to be ok on a motorway. Open to 3 door and 5 door as the dog comes out with me a lot and sits on the back seats.

I like my comforts and quality, so Saxos, Fiestas and such are out (not keen on small French cars) as are cars with centre exit exhausts as I need the towbar. Was originally looking at Polo GT TDis and Fabia VRS (older) but decided for the mileage I dont need a derv. Was even looking at Audi A2's.

So, what options have I got? Preferences are not set in stone, so would consider other engine types, but as I don't use it much I don't really need something like a TypeR or such.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
25th Mar 13 at 01:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How heavy is your trailer laden?

If its unbraked that will lower the towing limit, an Octavia VRS won't do the full 750kg so a Fabia is unlikely to.

[Edited on 25-03-2013 by Ian]
Daimo B

25th Mar 13 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the trailer + bike is about 300kg, but the car needs the tools, spare wheels, stands, fuel containers (filled), sometimes a passenger.

Wouldn't be towing anything else, its just for the bike

Festa does what I need fine really, its just not got the torque to pull the stuff up a big hill, and i've had it a few years and want to give it to my mother in law so time to get something a bit newer and better.

Veccy is a bit big really.

Corsa B with 1.9cdti engine?
scottyp1989

25th Mar 13 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only problem you will have really is the bigger the car you go the worse it is going to be at towing with only a 1.4/1.6. why not look at smaller estates or slightly bigger engines.
3CorsaMeal

25th Mar 13 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/corolla/toyota-corolla-1-8-vvtl-i-t-sport-3dr-184-bhp-20/987442
Daimo B

25th Mar 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats exactly the problem.

Im nut ruling out a derv, still consider the 3 pot 1.4tdi VAG engine, but im unsure how pokey and torquey it is? Anyone got any experience (i.e A2/Polo 1.4tdi).

3c, thats actually a good spot, my old man had one and it wasn't bad, the worst thing I hated was green dials and orange cente consol lights! Thats a good shout though.
antnee

25th Mar 13 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.8 diesel Focus? Comfy, handles well, will tow easily with the torque, and could buy a decent one for 4k

Edit, could get the Mk2 (2005+) for 4k

[Edited on 25-03-2013 by antnee]
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yours for 3k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140931863389?redirect=mobile
Andrew

25th Mar 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
Yours for 3k

Your car came to my mind

Love these Skoda's! I can't have it as i'm being sensible with money at the moment.
Daimo B

25th Mar 13 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Octava was on the possible lists, i preferred the Fabia though as I wanted something a bit smaller.

Really don't want a Ford, hate the interiors, and detest the diesel engine range. St170 Focus wasn't bad but in all honesty, I think I'd prefer that Corolla T-Sport posted above (which leads me onto thinking about a Celica, unsure about the towbar though).

CorsaNut, what are they really like on fuel, always thought the 1.8T engine was a bit juicy? Never believe online stats, good to hear real life experiences on them. I don't reaaaaly want a car that size, but for the cash they are, i've always thought they were good cars (and laughed back at those who laugh at the badge).
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got 35mpg doing a steady 70 on a 300 mile trip a few weeks back. Around town it does about 90 miles to £20 but that's doing about 3-4 miles from cold. I have the ability to turn the remap off so no doubt would be even better but I can't bring myself to do it makes a satisfying sucking noise when the turbo spools.

It's easyily one of the best VRS's on sale and one of the best cars I've had.
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Yours for 3k

Your car came to my mind

Love these Skoda's! I can't have it as i'm being sensible with money at the moment.

Come on Andrew I'll let you have it for 3k cash. Doesn't want for nothing.
Andrew

25th Mar 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know mate, it's a lovely example and local.

The misses would kill me
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever I get a new car, which is often, we always go the Trafford Centre for a big shop afterwards so she forgets about it

I'd lower the price a bit more but I wanted £3500 originally so for a mate i'd take 3
Gaz

25th Mar 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats such a temptation Corsa Nut!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

25th Mar 13 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't a Golf/A3/Astra do for towing etc. I don't think any of those fall into the fun category though

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Andrew

25th Mar 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We went the Trafford Centre last Sunday

I've got her to agree to a house with a double garage, that's what we saving for at the moment.
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

House always comes first mate!
CORSA NUT

25th Mar 13 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

Offer stands for you as well mate. I'm putting mileage on it at the moment an it's too nice a car for work.
Sunz

25th Mar 13 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mini one 1.6 ?
MarkM

25th Mar 13 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra H 3 door 1.7 CDTI.
Gaz

26th Mar 13 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz

Offer stands for you as well mate. I'm putting mileage on it at the moment an it's too nice a car for work.

If it was a diesel i'd snap it up straight away, sadly petrol is just not suitable for me but that is a lovely example

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car choices 24 database queries in 0.0137200 seconds