corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Auto Test Events

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Auto Test Events
Mertin

User status: Offline
20th Apr 13 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ever participated? Theres an auto solo event ( practically same as auto test) taking place near me on Sunday, designed for novices and a feeler event to see how popular its going to be, the club already run events but its more older people there and not very well publisced.
Iv decided to enter to see how I get on, always wanted to get into motorsport but hillclimbs seemed a bit too much like the deep end for me. Anyone got any tips etc to help me, tyre pressures etc? Running toyo t-1r's just now. Got a set of wheels with toyo r1-r's on but / tyres are worn in the middle and currently waiting for new tyres, would I be better sticking them on?
Ben J

20th Apr 13 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad is ex MSA National Autotest Champion, back in 1994! Spent my whole childhood at Autotests!

Auto solo's are a great way to start and they are less technical and all forwards. You can then progress to Autotests. Join your local motor club if you haven't already.

If its dry, the worn ones will be fine. Pressures depends on the car/surface/tyre. It's trial and error. Wouldn't worry too much to start with. Once you start getting quicker and more competitive at Autotests then you will need to worry about that more. You'll be able to get advice from fellow competitors too. Always was a very friendly Motorsport, eve n at the "top" level. I've seen someone break a drive shaft on a mini, and another competitor grabs a spare from his boot, then during lunch 5/6 competitors help get it swapped ASAP so the guy can carry on in afternoon.

Its a great, cheap entry into Motorsport. You'll develop car control skills and use of handbrake turns, reverse flicks etc. if you watch the top guys at Autotests the car never stops moving, even when swapping between forwards and reverse over stop astride lines etc.

[Edited on 20-04-2013 by Ben J]
Mertin

20th Apr 13 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its being run by my local car club, if you enjoy it then your welcome to join them and compete more. Im looking forward to it
Graeme
Premium Member

20th Apr 13 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did one through another club. Basically I turned up and we all used the same car. Was good fun and cheap. Hardest part is remembering the course imo.
Ben J

20th Apr 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you walk the course first? Helps to remember it. Quite humorous seeing grown men walking the course pulling imaginary handbrakes and walking backwards for the reverse sections etc. best way of learning it tho. Your ability to remember each test improves the more you do. At National rounds there's usually 3 tests laid out that you do in order, one after another, so need to have memorised all 3.

Guessing at Autosolos its just one to remember at a time and there's no reverse sections/stop astride lines?

[Edited on 20-04-2013 by Ben J]
Mertin

20th Apr 13 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was described to me by the organiser as being one way, with no tight sections like a test and its more open and suited for novices and complete new starts to the event / motorsport so nothing too technical. Just to see if you enjoy it
Ben J

20th Apr 13 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds ideal. Have fun!
Mertin

21st Apr 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was a great day, good mix of cars and good crack too. Cant thank the organisers and marshalls enough. Was around 14 of us. Few older experienced guys from auto tests but in road cars, few older cars setup for this kinda stuff, impreza track car and even an 09 plate fiat 500 and a 520 G reg beemer haha. 4motion diesel passat too!
Integra performed fine, used 1/4 of fuel aswell for 6 tests and 2 runs each! Got a bit lost / confused on a few, missing cones here and there

Some good pics on this link : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4903855432566.1073741825.1183407538&type=1
Ricky352

21st Apr 13 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good man!

Was watching abit of Autotesting last week. There was Novas, Caterhams (I think) and Minis. Looking at the Novas they had plastic windows etc, and a fella told me they had a 1.6 engine (possibly an x16xe??). He also told me some of the boys spend about 10 grand getting them prepared!!!

Mertin

21st Apr 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its made me want to get a cheap corsa build, no big engine but with good suspension and a strong handbrake cable! Will just turn into a major expense though, better off sticking with the integra maybe unless they get really tight
Ben J

22nd Apr 13 at 06:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky352
Good man!

Was watching abit of Autotesting last week. There was Novas, Caterhams (I think) and Minis. Looking at the Novas they had plastic windows etc, and a fella told me they had a 1.6 engine (possibly an x16xe??). He also told me some of the boys spend about 10 grand getting them prepared!!!

Autotesting is huge over there. The Irish cars are always immaculate too and the Irish guys were always very quick.

The top guys do spent alot preparing cars. My Dad spent a fair bit back in the day. Cars can be made lighter, hydraulic handbrakes, engines set up for loads of low down power, plenty of torque, speciall;y set up gearboxes, different sets of tyres for different weather/surfaces etc tec. But at the sametime you can spend alot less and still compete within your class.
Ben J

22nd Apr 13 at 06:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Its made me want to get a cheap corsa build, no big engine but with good suspension and a strong handbrake cable! Will just turn into a major expense though, better off sticking with the integra maybe unless they get really tight

I would say if you want to start competing in autotests, then go for a Corsa, or even a mini (classic obv). Don't need big power really.

I reckon you'd find the Intergra a bit of a handful for an autotest.

Nic Barnes

22nd Apr 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They run a lot of these in Cumbria often thought about having a go as its really cheap, and seems a good bit of fun.
Mertin

22nd Apr 13 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not quite sure if id go as far as auto tests. Be good if they keep with the auto solo's and for road cars so you just turn up and drive. Will see how the others go with the integra, would be good to use something I didnt care about
Ben J

22nd Apr 13 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Not quite sure if id go as far as auto tests. Be good if they keep with the auto solo's and for road cars so you just turn up and drive. Will see how the others go with the integra, would be good to use something I didnt care about

Yep, you can never be 100% committed in either a car thats got to get you to work on Monday, or your pride and joy.

[Edited on 22-04-2013 by Ben J]
Mertin

22nd Apr 13 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just need to find that happy medium between enjoying myself in my own car and not getting too competitive / involved that it turns into a whole new project. Iv just reduced the fleet from 3 cars down to 2 and planned keeping it that way. See how things plan out with more events

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Auto Test Events 23 database queries in 0.0107551 seconds