corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing and the law..........again........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Towing and the law..........again........
M2RTY

User status: Offline
26th Apr 13 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right,

Bit of advice needed please with regards to towing, I currently have the following:
• 2006 Vauxhall Signum 1.9 CDTi Auto 150psi Elite
• 1980s hand made unbraked trailer – unsure of empty weight (200kgs guess) and holds 500kg max, 6ft x 4ft in size
• I passed my driving test in March 2001, so only have class B entitlement.

Different places on the web give different information on what I can tow. I am doing my trailer test regardless for the practice as I have never towed anything before but can’t work a few things out:

So, the info I can find on my car is:

• MAM - ? cant find it yet
• Kerb weight – 1587Kg
• Unbraked towing weight – 750kg
• Braked towing weight – 1600kg

One website I read states:

Drivers who passed their test on or after 1st January 1997 have category B entitlement only. This restrictes their entitlement to motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3500kg, having not more than 8 passenger seats, with trailers having a MAM of up to 750kg. A trailer having a MAM over 750kg may be towed provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and the combined MAM does not exceed 3500kg.If such drivers wish to tow trailers which causes these limits to be exceeded, they have to pass an additional test to show that they can competently handle a trailer. Passing the B+E test entitles drivers to tow trailers having a MAM in excess of 750kg with vehicles having a MAM up to 3500kg

Is that correct or not? Could I at present drive the car with an empty trailer?
Whats the MAM for my car – cant see it anywhere?

It also states that trailers need to have their year or manufacturer and weight visible on them? Can i just write it on in pen lol?

Cheers
M2RTY

26th Apr 13 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and would one of these be OK for thje info:

http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/single_axle_trailer_plates.html
gazza808

26th Apr 13 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All sounds correct pretty much,
Just to add obviously b + e also allows y
You to tow more than the cars unladen weight assuming the towing capacity is more than the kerb weight.

Also you can't tow anything over 750kg if it isn't braked.
Ste
Premium Member

27th Apr 13 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Homemade trailer won't have a MAM as it's not plated. basically, an unbraked trailer cannot weigh more than half the kerb weight of the tow car regardless of when you passed or what entitlements you hold.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
gazza808

27th Apr 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Homemade trailer won't have a MAM as it's not plated. basically, an unbraked trailer cannot weigh more than half the kerb weight of the tow car regardless of when you passed or what entitlements you hold.

It may not be plated but the axle and hitch with have a mam and the lower of the two will be your plated limit.

Also unbraked trailer cannot be over 750kgs even of its less than half your cars/weight.
M2RTY

27th Apr 13 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

booked trailer test for june 19th anyways as it will come in handy

Says homemade trailers will need to be plated on some sites - cheers

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Towing and the law..........again........ 24 database queries in 0.0131462 seconds