corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Import duty?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Import duty?
Tiger

User status: Offline
28th Apr 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking potentially importing £1000 quids worth of carb rebuild kits for Yamaha MX bikes as I'm having difficulty sourcing parts from within the UK and we pay 4 times the cost. £1000 gets 50 kits from the US. Any idea what import duty rates are?
bigron1988

28th Apr 13 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i bought my rear wheels from america they were £640 and i payed £150 import duty
Tiger

28th Apr 13 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So we're talking about 25% then.
Whittie

28th Apr 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a great site Ben, check it out;

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/
Tiger

28th Apr 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Whittie, looks like it works out to approx £260 in tax and duty. Which would leave profit at about £500 on a £1270 spend.
Toby
Premium Member

28th Apr 13 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember though you can claim back the sales tax you pay if applicable in the states which can vary from 6-8% depending on the state so factor that in potentially.
Tiger

28th Apr 13 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you claim it back or just not pay it if its being sent out of the state in which they pay the sales tax?
Toby
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 06:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Totally depends on the company. You shouldn't pay it to begin with as they are invoicing your address in the UK but I has paid it before on items from America when using mail order.
Sam
Premium Member

29th Apr 13 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Remember though you can claim back the sales tax you pay if applicable in the states which can vary from 6-8% depending on the state so factor that in potentially.

Wrong (well mostly wrong TBH). Sales tax is a state tax, it's not a national tax like VAT which you can avoid paying if you're outside of the EU for example.

Some states don't have a sales tax like Delaware or New Hampshire for example, so buy from there if you can. Others like Louisiana offer tax free shopping for international visitors but I understand that's only if you are there in person (rather than buying over the Internet).

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Import duty? 23 database queries in 0.0113239 seconds