corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Recommend me a decent polish and wax please.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Recommend me a decent polish and wax please.
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd May 13 at 07:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
I just need something to keep the shine i have now. Ive just had it properly polished with a machine polisher so just want to mantain it really and get it more shiney if possible for pvs.
Surely you'll not need to polish it further then? Just get some wax/sealant on there and you're good.

l88fty
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 07:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As above. Parts of my car have just been painted and the rest mopped, so i want a really good polish and wax for my black B. Ive looked on various sites and i just get confused theres that much to choose from. Not too fussed on price just want someone to tell me what will make my car shine like mad and protect the paint work. Thanks

[Edited on 18-05-2013 by BenC1985]

Ben are you starting this from fresh, as in all the panels have had no previous treatment?

LN Customs - Lincolnshires Award Winning Enthusiasts Motoring Club
Web:lncustoms.co.uk Email: Lofty (Club Manager) Tel: 07876220929
BenC1985

28th May 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meaning? The boot and bonnet were painted the other friday, and while the machine polisher was out Greame machine polished the whole car with cutting compound to try and get rid of the swirls. This weekend i went and got a clay bar and done the whole car, then went over the whole car with poorboys black hole,then waxed it with dodo juice purple haze. Came up pretty well tbh, not mint but looks good

l88fty
Premium Member

28th May 13 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all depends how 'anal' you want to be about it, pardon the expression lol.

If your starting from scratch it's easier to work thru the treatments yourself, however like you said it had already had a fully machine polish with a cutting compound, so you pretty much had the hard work done for you to start detailing over.

I would recommend using a 'pre-wax cleaner' after using a clay bar & before the wax. I use a mixture of products from start to finish as I've never stuck to one range of products as use the best of many that's out there on the market for my car.

1 - Wash & Rinse - Meguiars Gold Glass Shampoo & DoDo Juice Tripple Mitt Wash Glove
2 - Clay Bar - Meguiars Clay Bar & DoDo Juice Clay Lube
3 - Pre Wax Cleaner - DoDo Juice Lime Prime & Compund Waffle Pad
4 - Wax - Autoglym High Deffination Wax & DoDo Juice Finishing Waffle Pad
5 - Seleant - Lucas Slick Mist Speed Wax (polymer paint gloss intensifier)
6 - Quick Detailer - Autoglym Instant Show Shine spray

That's a standard show prep treatment for my paintwork and then I have a range of other products for trims, plastics, wheels, glass etc.

BenC1985

28th May 13 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my method was
Wash with the last of my turtle wax shampoo using a meguiars wash mitt

Dry with microfibre cloths

Clayed with meguiars clay bar and detail spray.

Then i glazed it (including wheels) with poorboys black hole and buffed off with another clean micro fibre cloth.

Then i waxed it (including wheels) with dodo juice purple haze wax and buffed off with yet another clean microfibre.

Then went round it with another clean microfibre and demon shined it.

I also used some cheap tyre gel, but didnt get round to back to blacking with auto glym bumper care as i got bored and ran out of time. Lol

This was to try and clean and protect the new and old paint to make my wash easier before pvs. But i will be doing that whole process again the saturday before pvs anyway plus the bumper care.

l88fty
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its something you really want to get into and perfect even just on your own motor, look into getting a machine polisher. Doesn't have to be stupidly expensive one, the DoDo Juice or Meguairs ones are both good and the waffle pads are not expensive...you will get a much better finish than buffing off with microfibres

What do you use as a 'Quick Detailer' to take it back to the wax treatment finish inbetween waxes?

BenC1985

29th May 13 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only wax it once when i wash it. Lol i was thinking of doing two coats of wax but i was seriously bored and ran out of time. I would have more than likely just used the megs quick detailer though. Ive always been into keeping my cars clean but not to the point i know all the products and what to use exactly. Ive been looking at alot of the dodo juice stuff and i will be buying some of there car shampoo and pre wax cleaner soon. I did also look at there machine polishers too, may save me alot of time and effort.
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a machine polisher won't save you any time. To keep it looking good you are best off giving it a decent clean every few months by hand, e.g. wash, de-tar, clay if you want, pre-wax cleaner or glaze, wax - this could easily be done in under a day. If you're going to keep using Purple Haze then top that up after about 3 months once the beading starts to drop off, then when it starts dropping off a second time, do the process I listed above. Even with the 'safest' wash practices, you will still slowly build up swirls over time (especially with fairly soft Vauxhall paint), so then you might want to give it a light machine polish, but you will need to buy the machine plus two sets of at least two different types of pads (two finishing pads, two finishing spot pads, two polishing pads, two polishing spot pads, so you'll have 8 pads+ as you need to change or clean the pad after a few panels) and this will take a decent amount of time compared to polishing or glazing by hand. If you do a two stage polish then you'll probably get half the car done in one day, bearing in mind you'll also need to wash beforehand and protect afterwards. This will keep it looking pretty much perfect, but for a lot more effort compared to glazing by hand a couple of times a year.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
3CorsaMeal

29th May 13 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How important is the sealant, as i've never used any, always thought it was not needed if waxing, like sealant or wax kinda choice.

I have some autogylm EGP which is like water
BenC1985

29th May 13 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i wont really need to glaze it again two weeks after me doing it all this sunday? I was going to do that whole process again before pvs to make sure its super shiney on the stand. If i only really need to give it a wash and detail sprsy then i might just do that. Then do the whole process i listed again just before billing.
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th May 13 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
How important is the sealant, as i've never used any, always thought it was not needed if waxing, like sealant or wax kinda choice.

I have some autogylm EGP which is like water

Sealant is just a synthetic wax, typically used on lighter cars rather than wax which is better on darker/deeper colours.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BenC1985

29th May 13 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So glazing and waxing is not needed for a while untill the beading stops? I normally wax my car every 6-8weeks and try and polish it every 12 weeks(obviously waxing afterwards) if possible. Depends how im feeling and depends on the weather tbh. Might just give it a quick wash and dry for pvs as i doubt it will need much more.
Robbo_Corsa

29th May 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tend to 'deep' clean mine every few months.
On Saturday i..

Washed with Auto Glym shampoo & conditioner
Clay'd using Megs clay and detailer as lube
Wash'd again
Applied 2 layers of a mixture of Autosmart Mirror Image polish & Autosmart Platinum.
Then 2 layers of Poorboys Natty Wax

This was the outcome...;

Pretty pleased with it tbh

[Edited on 29-05-2013 by Robbo_Corsa]
BenC1985

29th May 13 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ that looks good and a nice deep shine to it. I took crap pics of mine on the driveway in the shade. And tbh the pics dont really show how well it came out. Heres a closer pic from the same angle as the other one.

Steve
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 06:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using cheap products non if you would recommend and only one bucket and sponge

[Edited on 30-05-2013 by Steve]
Daveskater
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So i wont really need to glaze it again two weeks after me doing it all this sunday? I was going to do that whole process again before pvs to make sure its super shiney on the stand. If i only really need to give it a wash and detail sprsy then i might just do that. Then do the whole process i listed again just before billing.
No, I wouldn't. You've done all the prep now so all you really need to do is wash it before the show (and once you're there if you like) and you'll be sorted. The wax will easily still be just as effective in two weeks as it is today, so the glaze is still locked in there.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
BenC1985

30th May 13 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That good then. Lol i live about 6miles away from santapod so i will only need to wash it the day before and wipe it over when i get up there. Then i will glaze and wax it again before billing.
shaunmods
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you just put the one layer of wax on it Ben? Could always put another layer on when you do your pre pvs clean
BenC1985

30th May 13 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Shuan i only put one layer of wax on, i was actually thinking that tbh Shaun. Quick wash and dry and then wax it again and use up the small 30ml pot of purple haze i got. Then im getting bought the 250ml pot of purple haze for my b'day. What quick detailer spray do you recommend?

[Edited on 30-05-2013 by BenC1985]
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Using cheap products non if you would recommend and only one bucket and sponge

Looks fine, bet it looks shit after a bit of rain and/or road usage though. All these wonder products arent necessarily intended to get your car significantly cleaner, it's diminishing returns. However the waxes/sealants which people recommend are excellent at prolonging the "just polished" look of a car and for the 5 or 6 cleans following a good wax/seal will be literally a case of wash and dry for a look which suggests you've spent hours on the car every weekend.

People I work with (and see my car every day) assume I spend hours each week cleaning my car though I only spend about an hour per week on it with an 8-10 hour binge 2 or 3 times a year.

The time, products and effort which goes in to the prewash, wash and polish phases all help to enhance the impact and longevity of the wax/sealant... Just like spray painting, the finish can only be as good as the prep

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't believe that at all Kyle, sorry.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need to apologise, it's not for everyone

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BenC1985

30th May 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with Kyle totally. I only try and give my car a bloody good wash.polish,wax a few times a year and just spend an hour a week giving it a quick wash and it always looks shiney and well looked after. And spending the time a few times a year with decent products really helps the quick washes i do aswell.
Steve
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can say I get the same results with P21S wax and Jetseal 109

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Recommend me a decent polish and wax please. 24 database queries in 0.0179288 seconds