corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MX5 / Eunos What to look for?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MX5 / Eunos What to look for?
N16K

User status: Offline
5th Jun 13 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have finally decided to look seriously into getting a mk1 MX5/ Eunos would prefer a Jap import one no real reason for that so would not say no to a good uk one either. Some people on CS have owned them and others may know about them. Like what to look for and what to avoid at all costs. Also what is a good price / what is to be expected in ni prices seen to vary greatly.

Have a daily driver Corsa D SRi and a Cooper S. so this is just a car for fun like the "S".

Thanks.

[Edited on 05-06-2013 by N16K]
Robin
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust.

Nothing really went wrong with either of mine, they're ultra reliable.
taylorboosh

5th Jun 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea rust
N16K

5th Jun 13 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks. With their age rust is what i was thinking.
pow
Premium Member

5th Jun 13 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rotten rear arches and general bodging
All Torque

5th Jun 13 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leaks behind the seats/boot floor = fucked roof rail.
Make sure the roof is good and solid and check water can't get in through the seals around the window.
I had an S reg 1.8 MX5 and aside from the gearbox being shite it was a decent car.

Rob E

5th Jun 13 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust at the rear of the sill is their weak point. Here is what mine were like once cut open it cost me circa £1000 after I bought full repair panels and paid for labour/

It was worth it though. It's by far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. I would advise going for a 1.8 import. They are generally in better nick than the UK models as try haven't been as exposed to the UK winters quite as much but they are getting on and do suffer the same rust. The JDM 1.8s usually come with air con (I've removed the whole system from mine) and a LSD. Although the LSD was an option extra, at the limited 1.8 models had them as standard and its pretty rare to find a manual 1.8 without one. Other limited 1.8 goodies included strut braces, additional chassis bracing, thicker anti roll bars and Bilstein lowered suspension as standard. The 1.8 is also a more simpler engine to strap a turbo/supercharger to but that's a whole other topic.
Rob E

5th Jun 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the easiest way to combat the rust is to regularly check the drain holes in the sills are not blocked. This is the root cause of the rust problem they suffer from so badly. It's dead easy to do with a wire coat hanger and a smallish flat blades screwdriver
DaveyLC

5th Jun 13 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N16K
MX5 / Eunos What to look for?

scissors and a comb?
Chris x

5th Jun 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by N16K
MX5 / Eunos What to look for?

scissors and a comb?
Fonz
Premium Member

6th Jun 13 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

second everything above, i have had mine for 4 years as a daily drive and love it, just about to clock up 60k miles in that time!
roof material can show its age, if it looks bad it probably is

contray to Rob E's comments i havea 1.6 as i was recommended it was a "better engine" than the 1.8
this may be different for the MkIIs however as the 1.8 started in the line up.

mine is an import and comes with air con which seems ot be standard on the Eunos models. mnie appears to be an SE model after research, with Nardi steering wheel and gear knob, bilstein shocks and struct brace with BBS wheels although you'll do well to find out what trim any car is as it isnt marked anywhere!

mine has been touch wood trouble free, and is mechanically sound, fantastic car and amense fun!
N16K

6th Jun 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the info

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MX5 / Eunos What to look for? 23 database queries in 0.0136030 seconds