corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » drove my 1st electric car today

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author drove my 1st electric car today
M2RTY

User status: Offline
9th Jun 13 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a good drive about in a 1 series electric car today, left hand drive white one with graphics all over it, press car etc

really nice to drive, loads of power, silent, no juddering etc - shame its of no use to me due to its huge expence when released and 90 mile range though lol

actually it was the first left hand drive car ive driven too lol - wasnt under too much pressure not to crash it!
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jun 13 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a couple at work for about a year now, usually stuck at the site speed limit of 15mph but I took one offsite once before and they had an amazing little surge of torque when flooring it

We've got the Mitsubishi and Peugeot cars that match, they're identical (like MGZR and Rover25's) other than badges... can't remember what either are called though!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VegasPhil
Premium Member

9th Jun 13 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a go in a kangoo ZE. Was strange. Turn the key and a light comes on. That's it

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
nathy_87

9th Jun 13 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Had a couple at work for about a year now, usually stuck at the site speed limit of 15mph but I took one offsite once before and they had an amazing little surge of torque when flooring it

We've got the Mitsubishi and Peugeot cars that match, they're identical (like MGZR and Rover25's) other than badges... can't remember what either are called though!

Peugeot iON and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

Seen the Peugeot one myself stickered up with Derby City Council. Odd looking cars aren't they?
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jun 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

Peugeot iON and the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

Seen the Peugeot one myself stickered up with Derby City Council. Odd looking cars aren't they?

They're the ones, aye they're odd and flimsy as hell - I'm sure I heard £30k being banded around to buy them and I'd class them well below the VW Up! etc in terms of size and quality.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nathy_87

9th Jun 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they aren't cheap either. I must hold my hands up I was looking at one (before they came out) and the price tag was rather off putting. That sounds about right Kyle.
M2RTY

9th Jun 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bmw one will cost a bomb lol

i3 is out november too

and i8 hybrid 2014+

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27759

car i drove:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=21335

Jambo

9th Jun 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have a Renault Zoe
AlexW

10th Jun 13 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I had a go in a kangoo ZE. Was strange. Turn the key and a light comes on. That's it

Work on these and Twizzy's all the time, still get in them and turn the key expecting to hear an engine.

I'm trying to talk my mother into a Twizzy, the higher power one with doors however.
Rob_Quads

10th Jun 13 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the 1 series that my friend drove a bit at during the Olympics (Was logistics manager for one of the sites managing the 1000 BMWs at his disposal). He said it was quite impressive to drive and he would have one...except for the obvious price tag it will come with when it does come out.

Root

10th Jun 13 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The range of these cars is ridiculous.

Is there actually a significant saving of money by charging your car, than running it on fuel?

I don't understand them too well, people say it's saving the planet etc, but all the manufactured parts aren't environmentally friendly, nor is using electricity to charge it, as most electric comes from oil..

The only way I can see these becoming popular is if it's much cheaper than petrol. It's a strange thought to think in the future, instead of larger bores, camshafts and exhausts, we'll be "modding" our cars with bigger batteries instead, lol.
AlunJ

10th Jun 13 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Missus says we're not having one because the range is shit yeah maybe for the one time a year we might want to do some miles further than work or the supermarket

[Edited on 10-06-2013 by AlunJ]
Jambo

11th Jun 13 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do about 15 miles a day to work and back, most is sat in traffic. In the evenings ill do 5 tops.

If its a special day I might do 50 miles MAX.

So a car with a 100mile range is totally concievable. Compared to my M3 the fuel saving is enough to pay for the car on finance/lease.

The only downside is the battery lease, £70 a month is just crazy. They give great benefits for the £70 p/m but its still £70! Benefits include if you want to go on a driving holiday and have range anxiety or it simply would t be possible. They rent you a Megane diesel for £0.

The simple advantage is the cost of fuel (£3 a charge is avg I think) and the fact there's no cold start, range isn't massively depleted by sitting in a jam (think how much mpg drops in jams) cabin refinement massively increased, charge at home so no need to drive to petrol stations and get your card cloned by Mohammed. Switch on and go, no dodgy idles here. I think it's a great tech.

It's not perfect as is any technology in relative infancy and a new commercial prospect which is a potential risk for manafacturers.

Obviously if you do 39k a year then it simply isn't plausible yet.
AndyKent

11th Jun 13 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reduce the cost of batteries and increase the recharging rate from free sources like solar and regenerative braking and they're onto a winner imo.

Won't be long. As jambo says, for the vast majority of people, 100 miles is plenty especially since you can charge at home whenever you like.
John

11th Jun 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We worked all this out in the GC thread a few weeks ago, they are all too expensive and don't make any financial sense currently.

Not using any fuel in a jam if you've got stop start, which in a comparable brand new car you would have.
LeeM

11th Jun 13 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres 2 of the little mitsubishi ones in a council car park next to my block of flats stickered up, only time ive ever seen either of them move was one of them leaving on a recovery truck
Dom

11th Jun 13 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Reduce the cost of batteries and increase the recharging rate from free sources like solar and regenerative braking and they're onto a winner imo.

Similar to what Elon Musk is doing with Tesla. He built the Model S with decent range, ~230 miles which easily covers majority of drivers, and then began building a load of solar powered recharge stations across the country offering free power to customers.
Cost is the only issue at the moment - Model S is around £50-80K. But Tesla are apparently releasing the Model X (Focus sized) which hopefully should be cheaper and offer a slightly higher range.
Russ

11th Jun 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thread is shocking
M2RTY

12th Jun 13 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They dont need regenerative braking as they dont brake much, the motor just slows down

Was 3 quid to charge, 100 miles per charge

Best diesel will still be 6-7 quid at best for 100 miles?

Solar chargers would be good

Save a fortune on time spent in petrol station

Not much to service mechanically

No congestion charge if you drive in london

Still a mile off being plausable for most, but these things take time and need early adoptors to progress
Gary
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think they'll be bought on a large scale until they have a 500 mile range or epically fast charge. I like the idea of them personally
GB123
Premium Member

12th Jun 13 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like them but I couldn't have one as my only car, would still need to own a petrol at the same time
spencer88

12th Jun 13 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I worked out, based on a Renault Twizzy, fuel would have to be £1.80 a litre for the electric car to be as cheap to run, and then only had a range of 45 miles
dannymccann

12th Jun 13 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have one in a heartbeat if the cost came down. We travel 15 miles a day and every month a 100 mile round trip (that might be a struggle), would make sense for us

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » drove my 1st electric car today 24 database queries in 0.0191681 seconds