corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » megane 225

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author megane 225
alan t

User status: Offline
28th Jul 13 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently ive been looking for a new car as im going to be 25 in a few months so can finaly afford to insure something a bit faster! After looking at astra vxrs for a while for my budget they all seem to be higher milage examples and to be honest look a bit rough.

Recently ive been looking at megane 225's, seen a few different ones, seen a few 06 plate ones with around 50,000 miles on them for around 5 grand which is much better for my budget.

As ive never had any dealings with them I thought i'd ask good old corsasport as I seem to remeber a few people on here owning them.

As usual the french reliablity is making me a bit nervous about them, any common faults on them? Or how reliable are they to live with as a daily?

Also rough mpg, will around 30 be realistic?

I have a 15 mile commute each way to my work which is on the bypass, the 6 speed box will hopefully help with the fuel consumption, not expecting it to be amazing on fuel but hoping it wont be a total gas guzzler!

Much prefer them with the nicer alloys on them (look a bit like the turinis on the 172 clios), did these wheels just come on the cup models?

Also most of the ones ive seen have leather seats in them, im not a huge fan of leather seats so did any come with cloth seats or even half leather?

Sorry for all the questions, as i say i know a few on here have owned them so its allways nice to get some feedback from someone who has actully owned one.

cheers
Pete_gsi

28th Jul 13 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A frend works for renault and i used to drive alot of them. Nice cars. Think they still have problems with the keys now and then but only ever seen a few like that. Not shore about fuel but of a gess if driven normaly you might get that.

You not like mk4 astra gsi? Made up to 04 and you can get a lot for your money now days. 3/4 will get you a mint 300bhp with all the vxr upgrades all day
alan t

28th Jul 13 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really a huge fan of the mk4's mate, as i work for vauxhall i wouldnt mind a break away from them
alan t

28th Jul 13 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really a huge fan of the mk4's mate, as i work for vauxhall i wouldnt mind a break away from them
Pete_gsi

28th Jul 13 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fer play. Not everyone is.

Tell you the truth i got let down on a clio 1.8 16v old skool
Thats how i ended up with the corsa gsi
deanmcreynolds26

28th Jul 13 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had one and loved it, never really had mnay problems

average about 29mpg mixed driving

35-40mpg on a run of about 70 miles or so.. feathering it.

u want one with cup pack, grey wheels/mirrors etc.
lux pack and recaros if u can..

i sold mine in feb for £4750 and it had every option possible... recaros cup, xenons,

cambelt jobs are expensive about 4-500

brakes aint that expensive. 200 quid can do front discs and pads if you do it yourself...

swivel hub bearings go and the wheel doesnt self centre so check if that has been done... there is a few on here so im sure theyll be along soon
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

28th Jul 13 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try less than 130 for front brakes and 200ish for rear brakes.

Hub bearing fix is under 200 at some places.

I've not had a couple of issues with my r26. Injectors and exhaust hangers. If you can stretch the budget get an r26.
kennySRi

29th Jul 13 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're great car IMO. My sister has one and says its great, however it is up for sale at the moment, 3.3k in black if you're interested.
cunningham

29th Jul 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno about 225 but i had a diesel and both electric windows backed in i was corroded wiring. Last french car ill ever own tbh
dava.

29th Jul 13 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

own a 175 Lux sport just now, and even though its the derv version of the 225 still pretty happy with it,

handles well and a remap see's it at just under 200 bhp with 380 lb/ft all while still sitting at 45 mpg when needed also.,

brakes aint as bad as folks make out

window regulators are a common fault but you get a "good will gesture" price cut from renault if your car is within a certain year

tyre pressure sensors are all so a pain in the arse, they corrode and go brittle and prone to braking which means you need to pay renualt about £20 for a tyre valve then get them reprogrammed via clip which can also cost, (easy fix for this is to change them to plastic standard valves)

i have owned mine just over 2 years now and still enjoy driving it, fixed a few bits and bobs on it but most stuff is wear n tear normal stuff ,
boomtings1

29th Jul 13 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have had a few of these in from traders. Each one wanted like an immediate £500 spending on them. Most of the suspension bits are dealer only and expensive. Also done 2 steering racks, loads of window regs.
But they are pretty fast.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

29th Jul 13 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

225 arnt dealer only. Can get most parts from ecp. R26 on the other hand dealer only.
Toby
Premium Member

30th Jul 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
If you can stretch the budget get an r26.
alan t

30th Jul 13 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for replys folks

i seem to be looking at ep3 civic type r's now as well

really need to make my mind up, civic sounds look a good all rounder though, and honda reliability is swaying me towards it
Toby
Premium Member

31st Jul 13 at 05:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not so sure about the 225 but if they are not a million miles off the r26 which should be the case they will spank an ep3 civic in every category.

People winge about French build qualiy which is true its poor on occasions but the Renault sports built in the factory in France are a different kettle of fish and are far superior.

A cat back, remap and decat will see about solid 270 Bhp.

I'd push for te r26 purely for the diff alone, the standard 225 must be begging for one.

3i_gaz

4th Aug 13 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant compare even a 225 to an EP3 imho. Megane everytime, as said though R26 everyday of the week, one with a few mods as listed above is immense on the road!
Gareth T

5th Aug 13 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They seen to be very cheap to buy now. Ive seen ones from £3000 onwards.
3i_gaz

6th Aug 13 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friend of mine literally just got an 05 plate 225, 5 door, pan roof, full leather heated, climate, cruise, power folds, 80k, clean thing, mapped, stainless, filter, wants a little bit of tidying and love 2k. they are for nothing!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » megane 225 23 database queries in 0.0119631 seconds