corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Half marathon - advice needed....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Half marathon - advice needed....
Robbo

User status: Offline
6th Aug 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I'm (supposed to be!) doing the Run to the Beat half in Greenwich Park on 8th September, last week I ran 12k on Sunday, ran 2k on Monday (just a qucik warm-up), cycled 20k on Tuesday and then ran 10k last Friday. So I'm roughly halfway there with a month to go.... the organisers do training runs in Shoreditch on Monday nights and the "beginners" are at 15k runs now so I'm gettign a bit worried.

I'm going running again tonight and then Thursday night, before moving house on Saturday so won't then run again until probs Monday night, thinking maybe I should do some interval training either tonight or Thursday to help me boost my endurance but I also have to get my distance to 20k so dunno what to do for the best... any suggestions?
Robbo

6th Aug 13 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps my friend gave me these suggestions for good interval training ideas over either 10k or 20k...

Each set of seconds is to be at a pace quicker than race pace and the recovery between each rep can be stood still or walking

10k:
10 x 60 secs with 60 secs recovery
10 x 120 secs with 90 secs recovery
30 secs with 45 secs recovery
60 secs with 45 secs recovery
90 secs with 45 secs recovery
60 secs with 45 secs recovery
30 secs with 45 secs recovery
6 x 150 secs with 60 secs recovery
20 x 30secs with 30 secs recovery

Half marathon:
6 x 1 mile with 60 secs recovery
3 x 8mins with 2mins recovery
3 mins with 90 secs recovery
4 mins with 90 secs recovery
5 mins with 90 secs recovery
5 mins with 90 secs recovery
4 mins with 90 secs recovery
3 mins with 90 secs recovery
6 mins with 60 secs recovery
5 x 3 mins with 60 secs recovery
5 x 4 mins with increasing secs recoveries (60, 70, 80 & 90)
Ben J

6th Aug 13 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds a bit complicated. I'd just look to increase your distances at "race" pace. Maybe throw some sprints in at intervals at less than race distance runs etc.

I'm a shit runner, never been any good at it, don't really enjoy it, had asthama as a kid (still suffer a bit now)etc but doing another 5k "race" in December then the Manchester 10km and maybe a few more 5k and 10k next year.

Then i'm wanting to do a Sprint Triathlon and see how that goes before deciding if to try and train up to an Olympic distance Tri.

If I manage to complete one of those I may go for a Half Ironman, but i'm talking in the next 10 years!!

Training the swim and cycle doesn't worry me as much as the runs!

[Edited on 06-08-2013 by Ben J]
Ben J

6th Aug 13 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What time are you aiming for Robbo?

richardworrall
Premium Member

6th Aug 13 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you've not done a half before i definately suggest you train to get over 10 miles. For a half marathon that is the distance thats classed as 'the wall' If you can get your body and mind used to that distance it will benefit you no end.
Dont do the training at race pace, you need to be doing at least a min/mile slower than your intended pace.
Im doing the Great North Run mid sep, have been running for a few years but only just upped my distance recently again as been doing 10k's all the time. Last few weeks done 10 and 11 miles just to get the confidence again to know my body can do it.
What time you aiming for?
Ben J

7th Aug 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad ran 2 half marathons back in the day, when he was 39/40. He had never done any proper running when he started training and could barely manage a mile. He ran his best time during his first one in 1hr 56 which to me is a fairly respectable time. The 2nd one the year after he didn't train as much and ran jsut over 2 hours I think.

[Edited on 07-08-2013 by Ben J]
Robbo

7th Aug 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time, between 1hr45 and 2hrs.

So last night I did the 10km version, doing roughly 12km in 60 mins of running (+ all the breaks, meanign i was out for well over 2 hours lol) and am exhausted now but it was hugely beenficial, i ran mostly much faster than usual and also eventually ran further than i would have done on a standard run ha!

gonna attempt it again tomorrow night (eep!) then will try a 15km run on Monday night i think

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Half marathon - advice needed.... 24 database queries in 0.0083830 seconds