corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a private plate, privately. Help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying a private plate, privately. Help!
gez bay

User status: Offline
25th Sep 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys,

After some help off you all.

Can you explain to me how I go about buying a numberplate privately? And most of all safely?

I've already spoken to the guy, he's emailed me pictures of the document with his name and address showing next to the registration and even written his forum username on a piece of paper next to the documents, so I know it's him.

What about paying for it? What's the best way?

And how does it all work with the transfer going onto my car?

I think the plate is already on retention, so would that mean it can go straight on mine?

Thanks in advance

Gez
Graeme
Premium Member

25th Sep 13 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would need to pay the fee to become a nominee I think it's called. About £30 and then can transfer it onto a vehicle in your name.
gez bay

25th Sep 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I'd have to pay some sort of fee. The bloke has told me though that I might not have to because it's within his retention period that he's already paid? It's on retention until November
AndyCorsaSport

26th Sep 13 at 05:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a part of the form to change nominee. That part you will have to pay for to get put in your name.

The retention bit that he's saying is paid is the bit so you don't have to pay to put it on a car.
Phil W

26th Sep 13 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£20 to change Nominee plus the cost of however much they want for it, best done face to face really so you can exchange cash for the document, once signed by the guarantor it's useless to them.

You can only sign it straight on to another car if the guarantor owns it.

[Edited on 26-09-2013 by Phil W]
Col004

26th Sep 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does take abit of trust when buying a plate privately.
I've just bought C4RSA off Ryan Coughtrie.
The plate was on retention so the transfer fees where payed and he was the guarantee (owner). To place you as a nominee it's costs £25. To do this the guarantee has to sign the retention certificate and fill the section "new nominee" in with your details and send it to the dvla with a cheque for £25.
Within 4 weeks a new retention certificate will be sent back to the guarantee officially stating you as the nominee. At this point both the guarantee and the nominee have the right to place that plate on a car. This is due to the guarantee still being the owner of the plate but officially giving you the nominee permission to put it on a car.
The guarantee has to then send the new retention certificate to you in order for you to send it with your other paperwork to the dvla so that the plate can be transferred on to your car.
The plate only becomes yours when you the nominee puts it on your car, as that car (your car) becomes that plate. If you then ever put the plate on retention you will then be the guarantee on that new retention certificate.

[Edited on 26-09-2013 by Col004]
Phil W

26th Sep 13 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need send it off and wait for it to come back with a new Nominee, you just sign both sections (new car AND nominee) and they will transfer it there and then. I did it on my car (same situation as above) a couple of months ago.
Col004

26th Sep 13 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can only say what I did mate. There wasn't a car section on the paperwork Ryan had.

It ended up on our car safe so all was well. Just took a while lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Buying a private plate, privately. Help! 23 database queries in 0.0111170 seconds