corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop not working

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop not working
mattievRS

User status: Offline
   14th Oct 13 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a HP laptop running vista, reckon its 7 years old! I turned it on today and its giving a white screen after 5 seconds and doing nothing, no windows boot up or sound and cant hear the hdd running. Its also not connecting to wifi. Last turn on was 2 days ago! It has been running very warm recently with the fan on 70%. Any ideas?
nathy_87

15th Oct 13 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get into the fan/hdd?
mattievRS

15th Oct 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, why?
Dom

15th Oct 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Nathy mentioned/hinted at, i'd remove the back and clean all the dust and shite out of it - that'll hopefully explain the excessive fan RPM and heat issue.

But at what stage within booting does it 'white screen'? Does it reach desktop at all prior to 'white screening'?
Can you reach safe mode (hammer the F8 key during booting) at all?

mattievRS

15th Oct 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fan and HDD are dust free, I checked. It white screens within 5 seconds of switch on then does nothing at all after.
Dom

15th Oct 13 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it just a blank white screen or do you get a cursor?

Can you get into the BIOS if you hammer F11 (believe that's the key for HP laptops)?
And/Or, have you got a monitor to hand? If so, connect it up and see if you can progress any further with the boot-up.

Failing that, hammer F8 and a combo of the return key and see if you can get it to boot up into safe-mode - this is if it's a driver issue, which case the right combo should boot into safe-mode without issue (from there it's a case of hunting the dodge driver).

I've also heard removing mains power and battery, holding down the power button for a minute and then reassembling (put battery back and apply power) can 'correct' similar issues - can't say i've ever tried this though.

[Edited on 15-10-2013 by Dom]
mattievRS

15th Oct 13 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried all of the above and it's not playing ball! I get nothing at all but a white screen and no controls or anything. Thanks for the advice so far guys, I think I'm going to stick it on ebay as spares or repairs as I can't really be arsed with it now!
Dom

15th Oct 13 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattievRS
I've tried all of the above and it's not playing ball! I get nothing at all but a white screen and no controls or anything. Thanks for the advice so far guys, I think I'm going to stick it on ebay as spares or repairs as I can't really be arsed with it now!

Do you get a 'white screen' evening using an external monitor?

If you do sell it for spares/repairs, then either sell it without the hard-drive(s) or make sure you 'clean' them properly prior to eBaying.
mattievRS

15th Oct 13 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes even with an external monitor. Planned on selling without the HDD. Cheers for the help.

New Poll