corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel nearly came off today.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel nearly came off today.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Oct 13 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Yes why? Will prevent it happening again, can still be removed when needed

Torquing them properly will prevent it happening again...

Jamie-C

19th Oct 13 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure the wheels were tightened up properly, no one torques wheels up to manufactures specification If hes weary of it some loctite would give him piece of mind
craig55

19th Oct 13 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by craig55
Ns or os wheel

N/S.

[Edited on 19-10-2013 by Tiger]

Usally is through brake force tourqe them up and keep a eye on them
Tiger

20th Oct 13 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm booking it in the garage to check the hub and bearing and the driveshaft as I drove it with the wheel loose for about 20 miles. I also want to check the tapers, and bolt head seats, I'll probably get a new set of wheel bolts too. I'm due to get a couple more little jobs done too so I'll tie it all in together.
Steve
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sure the wheels were tightened up properly, no one torques wheels up to manufactures specification If hes weary of it some loctite would give him piece of mind

I do
Jambo

20th Oct 13 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but Steve you aren't from the mad mike school of "engineering"
Bonney

20th Oct 13 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It happens, I have the same problem with the trucks and trailers at work. Usually find the odd wheelnut loose so have to have the whole wheel reorqued and bolt markers reset.

It's just through wear and tear, if you look in most tyre places they have a sign up saying check wheelnuts after x amount of miles
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:

I do

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan-g-w

20th Oct 13 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you're being a bit melodramatic for having pretty much what looks like forgotten to torque them in the first place, I know enough about nuts and bolts to get by and if I was you I'd have torqued the bastards back up and carried on regardless. After every journey/ halfway through a long journey simply check them again to see if they've come loose. All you're doing by booking it into the garage is spending money you probably don't need to, I reckon they'll just give you a slip of paper saying you're a fanny for not having tightened them. Hubs and driveshaft would have no bearing on whether wheel nuts come loose unless the threads are fucked in the hub - you'd be able to tell if they were from entering the bolts though.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Oct 13 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the 12 years ive been driving/tinkering with cars, ive never once torqued up wheels. Normally use a wheel brace or a breaker bar, and not once have i had wheel bolts come loose.

On the other hand, young guy at work just painted his wheels other day, and 2 days later 1 of them came off.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I do

Same

Every car that has the wheels off in work gets the wheel nuts/bolts torqued up.
So far I've never ever had one come loose. There's a torque spec for a reason.

[Edited on 20-10-2013 by FlaFFy_91]
Tiger

20th Oct 13 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I think you're being a bit melodramatic for having pretty much what looks like forgotten to torque them in the first place, I know enough about nuts and bolts to get by and if I was you I'd have torqued the bastards back up and carried on regardless. After every journey/ halfway through a long journey simply check them again to see if they've come loose. All you're doing by booking it into the garage is spending money you probably don't need to, I reckon they'll just give you a slip of paper saying you're a fanny for not having tightened them. Hubs and driveshaft would have no bearing on whether wheel nuts come loose unless the threads are fucked in the hub - you'd be able to tell if they were from entering the bolts though.

I've never had the wheel off, last time the wheel was off was 800 miles ago at least and it was done at the garage I use. After doing a 600 mile trip everything seemed fine, the I parked it up and left it for 2 weeks, then as soon as I got in it and drive 5 miles I noticed a slight squeak each rotation of the wheel, which I put to the fact it had been sitting for a bit. Then it got worse over the next 15 miles.

It wouldn't go in the garage solely to investigate the hub, there's other small jobs needing doing so I'll get him to check the hub out at the same time.
alan-g-w

20th Oct 13 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound I didn't see that bit, my bad. Theory of someone trying to steal your wheels/ assassinate you seems most likely.
Jambo

20th Oct 13 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol.

Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Oct 13 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had my wheels at a tyre place francise to get them balanced, they told me to come back for re-torquing in 500miles due to the type of nuts.

The wheels seem to come off every other weekend anyway so I never took it back, but always check my torque after the first few miles of driving after swapping wheels.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jamie-C

21st Oct 13 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
quote:
quote:

I do

Same

Every car that has the wheels off in my work don't get torqued up, neither does either of the other 2 mechanics who are about 50 who have been working there for 30+ years and never had a wheel come loose
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 13 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet using an airgun is considered fine too
Jamie-C

21st Oct 13 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No , airgun and then checked with bar
fred7

21st Oct 13 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every car that has the wheels off in my work don't get torqued up, neither does either of the other 2 mechanics who are about 50 who have been working there for 30+ years and never had a wheel come loose

So that makes it ok because other people dont do it. Please tell us where u work so we avoid there

[Edited on 21-10-2013 by fred7]
Jamie-C

21st Oct 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seriously, how many people do you know torque there wheels up? I'd say less than 10% of the population who work with cars don;t use a torque wrench lol

Sheskburn garage ballycastle, doubt you'd ever be here tbh lolz
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 13 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No , airgun and then checked with bar

You can fuck up the hubs with an airgun. I broke several Halfords sockets because some cunt airgunned my wheel bolts on. Put more than 300nm through it before it came loose. Terrible practice
Jamie-C

21st Oct 13 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our airguns are shit, definitely won't be fucking up no hubs lol
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

21st Oct 13 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
quote:
quote:

I do

Same

No wonder the wheels haven't came off, you might aswell weld the fuckers to the hubs
Plus when one of your customers has a puncture and has to call the hulk to swop his wheel to the spare. I'm sure they won't be happy

Air guns on wheels are daft!
I use a electric knocking gun to roll them up. Untill it knocks once. Then torque them up to manufactures standards.

Jamie-C

21st Oct 13 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Elite mechanics

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Wheel nearly came off today. 24 database queries in 0.0152221 seconds