corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » EML comes on and then car just cuts out - help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EML comes on and then car just cuts out - help!
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
7th Nov 13 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has been happening since yesterday.
I'm driving along quite happily, but when I slow down to stop and dip the clutch the EML/orange engine symbol on the dash comes on, and then a second later the engine cuts out. I turn the ignition off and on again and carry on driving. This just happened 3-4 times on a 10 minute drive to work!

It seems like the EML stays off as long as I keep the revs going.

I don't know if it's related but the speedo and mile counter have also stopped working

Any help/tips much appreciated.
Car is a Corsa B, 1.4i, X14XE engine.
Billy Dean

7th Nov 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a bit of reading round the 'symptoms' I'm getting.
I checked the cigarette lighter was not being shorted...nothing is touching it.
I checked fuse no.18 (the 20A fuse)...it is sound.

Will the 'paper-clip' test work on my engine?
If so, what pins would I need to bridge?
corsadonk
Premium Member

7th Nov 13 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, try the paper clip test.

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

Billy Dean

10th Nov 13 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heyyy, thanks for the link!
I just went out and did the paperclip test.
I got codes "19" and "24".

I looked them up and:

19 = Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) - Incorrect RPM signal
24 = Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - No speed signal or low voltage

With the symptoms I described in the earlier posts does it look like I'll have to replace BOTH sensors?
Are they both easy to see from the bottom of the car?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

10th Nov 13 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fix the speedo and it will solve all of your problems. X14xe b will be a normal mechanical cable iirc.

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Billy Dean

11th Nov 13 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Fix the speedo and it will solve all of your problems. X14xe b will be a normal mechanical cable iirc.

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by VegasPhil]

Thanks for the reply. I was reading round the topic earlier and people were saying depending on what type of speedo you have that will determine where the 'sensor' is.

People were talking about electrical clocks and mechanical clocks. I'm not too hot on this topic, but my speedo is not one of those LED display types. My speedo has physically rotating numbers like an old gas meter. So does this mean my speedo is one of those 'mechanical' ones?
And if so (after reading around) does this mean I won't have a speed sensor on the gearbox, but rather I'll have a sensor within the clocks themselves - so to fix the problem I just need to change my clocks?
Or something else?

Thanks.
random dav
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounds like the crank sensor as the test showed up. I had the same a few years ago. IIRC the crank sensor is on the back of the block at the opposite the water pump outlet.

What year is your car? Later ones have electric clocks, sometimes the fuse goues so check them too.

Also if you look down on top of the gearbox you should be able to see if its either a wire or cable going into the top of the box.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Billy Dean

11th Nov 13 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
It sounds like the crank sensor as the test showed up. I had the same a few years ago. IIRC the crank sensor is on the back of the block at the opposite the water pump outlet.

What year is your car? Later ones have electric clocks, sometimes the fuse goues so check them too.

Also if you look down on top of the gearbox you should be able to see if its either a wire or cable going into the top of the box.

Mine's an N-reg...so I suppose it's 1995.
random dav
Premium Member

11th Nov 13 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon it will be cable driven but its best to check on the gearbox.

Not 100% sure on this but I think cable driven speedo's start at 10mph and electric at 0mph

WRLFC !

Project cars
Billy Dean

11th Nov 13 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car was at my mechanics today for a routine service so I asked him to check my speedo cable.
He said it was all twisted up but he couldn't tell if it was damaged at the clock end because he didn't take anything apart.

He said he charge an hours labour plus parts to see to it.

Is it an easy job for a newbie like me?
(It could be whole cable? Or just the connection at the clocks? I dunno).
random dav
Premium Member

13th Nov 13 at 01:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its pretty easy. It's better to replace it. Theres a few threads come up on google how to change it.

Basically removed clocks to disconnect it from the rear of them, disconnect it from speedo drive on the gearbox. Feed new one in the path the old one went.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

13th Nov 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crank sensor will always show if you paper clip test when the engine is not running

New Poll