corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Boilers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boilers
Chris C

User status: Offline
18th Nov 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved into our house in January and I'm now looking to change the boiler because its getting on a bit tbh. We currently have a boiler with a copper cylinder set up. I've got a friend who has come round and given me a price to supply and fit a new boiler or combi boiler.

It's a 3 bed house with me mrs & baby due New Year's Eve.

What's the better option just a new boiler with the water tank set up or a combi ?

We had a combi in our last house and the water flow was shocking ! If you flushed the toilet the shower went cold etc so I wouldn't want that to be the case again.

Cheers Chris
Rob_Quads

18th Nov 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When we were in a similar situation last year I went for the straight replacement as it was cheaper. I know someone who has said they are happy with their combo but they still find if the dishwasher is on and someone is having a shower turning on a hot tap can affect temps in the shower (which personally I would hate).

We very rarely run out of hot water and it now heats up very quickly using the new boiler. We did not replace the cylinder as the cost not not really worth the gains of even quicker hot water and less heat loss.
Chris x

18th Nov 13 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see why using the dishwasher or flushing the toilet should change the hot water rate?

My toilet and dishwasher run off cold water.

Unless its general water pressure thing?

I know my combi boiler is way too big for the size of my place, but it had a good hot water flow rate which is why I went for it.

Cant comment on it though as I havnt moved in and used it yet.
Rob_Quads

18th Nov 13 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
I cant see why using the dishwasher or flushing the toilet should change the hot water rate?

My toilet and dishwasher run off cold water.

my dishwasher is hot and cold water fed thus hot will affect other hot feeds in the house.

It all comes down to the spec and also the flow rate you have and how much you are prepared to pay.
sc0ott

18th Nov 13 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Combi boiler with an electric shower?
John

18th Nov 13 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad has a combi that runs 2 showers no bother and I had a combi that gave me a great shower.

New house has a vented system I think, both hot and cold everywhere apart from the kitchen sink is pumped. I liked the combi better.

Do you have decent mains water pressure?
ash_corsa

18th Nov 13 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x

Because the combi heats the water directly from the mains cold water supply.

We have a decent combi (Worcester) and it's fine for a shower while dishwasher is on etc..
But you could put in a new system boiler and replace the copper cylinder for a pressurised stainless steel one (mega flow etc..) getting rid of the header tank in loft. They're meant to be good for multiple showers, although I prefer the combi for the instant hot water anytime of day rather than the hot water being programmed for certain times, if your out one or two days your boiler is coming on for no reason unless you remember to switch it off.

Chris C

18th Nov 13 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment we have a shower pump as its fed direct from our tank, would we have to lose the pump if went combi ?
Lee_fr200

19th Nov 13 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just had my boiler done and they advised against a combi due to pressures and also they go wrong more apparantly? So went for just a boiler with the tank still upstairs, got to say I'm using less gas and it's bloody good tbh
deanmcreynolds26

20th Nov 13 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Combi all day long mate

Get rid of your old inefficient tank and save some cash. Water is there when you need it and no need to heat it all the time.

The comment a Combi breaks down more... You've then got motorised valves etc that'll break more than the boiler. The installer just wanted an easy money maker 3 pipes and he was off lol

Some ppl have no option bit to take a cups linden if they have poor pressure in their area. If you can get a Combi mate! Work with them every day...
deanmcreynolds26

20th Nov 13 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
My dad has a combi that runs 2 showers no bother and I had a combi that gave me a great shower.

New house has a vented system I think, both hot and cold everywhere apart from the kitchen sink is pumped. I liked the combi better.

Do you have decent mains water pressure?

Why is it all pumped? You up pretty high with poor Water pressure?
John

21st Nov 13 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it's to do with pressure, although, there's a 3 bar limiter on the incoming mains and pressure seems good at the kitchen tap. Would have been better if just the showers were pumped. Would also save the stupid pump noise every time a tap was turned on.
Rob_Quads

21st Nov 13 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deanmcreynolds26
If you can get a Combi mate! Work with them every day...

Do you install them?
deanmcreynolds26

21st Nov 13 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mostly repairing them but do fit them as well.

More money fixing them
Chris C

23rd Nov 13 at 06:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply ! I had in my head that I wanted a combi, just makes more sense just using what you need.
dannymccann

23rd Nov 13 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a combi, no water storage etc. If someone flushes or the dishwasher / washing machine (cold feed only) fills up when you are in the shower you wouldn't even know. It's also very powerful, if you want it to be. This is with an Ideal Isar, which isn't exactly renowned for being brilliant, but I like it.

Combi's aren't great if you want to run a big bath, because obviously you can only have hot water OR heating, not both at the same time, but if you plan ahead and get the bathroom warm first it isn't too much of an issue

New Poll