corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Working abroad - Dubai

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Working abroad - Dubai
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Nov 13 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gazza that sounds cool! what do you do for work?
gazza808

28th Nov 13 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mechanical engineer,
Build/rebuild/move/maintain/service/troubleshoot grinding machines,

Practically every aeroplane in the sky has a landing leg or turbine engine that's had machining processes done on our machines. Among having machines in most industries. (Automotive, railway, etc)

Just installed two machines in an old cold war nuclear base that houses b52 bombers in oscoda michigan, was an interesting place to say the least! Right on one of the Great Lakes too.

Pays the bills and I enjoy it, mrs does not though lol!

[Edited on 28-11-2013 by gazza808]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

niceee
Daimo B

28th Nov 13 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a few weeks out there quite a few years ago when it still was all in development (Burj not completed, monorail not done etc). Only things I can say:

Hot, check the summer dates, I can imagine its un-bearable. 50+ degrees is the norm, from what I know, all the workers stop work only at 52 degrees The construction workings done 12hr shifts, all wore different coloured overalls for their designated shift/work area. Lots of indians, lots of asains.

Cab it, everywhere. There are paths, but pedestrians are not catered for.

Lots of malls, one of them has got a ski dome, pretty good in terms of indoor ones. Plus theres the waterpark, the hotels, high buildings etc. Plenty to do and look around at on downtime. Desert runs on quads etc.

Drinking, only at the bars! I couldn't even take a few beers up to my room to watch the rugby world cup.

Sea is lovely and warm, beaches are obviously, all sand

It got dark at 6pm when I went. Can't remember even what month I went, it wasn't summer, but it was still in the 40's. Take suncream to start with It was really humid as well most days.

Don't be freaked out by lots of men holding hands, its not because they are gay. Different culture, its quite the normal for close friends/family to hold hands. Once your out there, I deffo could see the appeal of wearing one of those white robes in that heat too

Lots of expensive cars. Its not cheap out there (kinda like London really), but its deffo worth the visit for a few months work if given the chance. Flights about 6-7hrs, so you could always fly home to see the missis, or her fly out there.

Maybe ask if that could be included in your contract for working out there, so you dont have to foot the cost to see your partner?

Ben J

28th Nov 13 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of the construction work happens overnight to avoid the heat.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

28th Nov 13 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is cheap! eating out every night in the restaurants is far cheaper than any other place i have been to. Rent a car so you can see the sights too driving there is fine just they like to hide speed cameras too.
SVM 286

28th Nov 13 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny W
Hi Guys, any of you work abroad? Or have any experience of it?
I've got the opportunity to go to Dubai for 3 months next April. I don't really know to much about the place or what it is really like to work there.
Bit of background I work in hard landscaping & construction, we do a lot of schools & playgrounds across the uk but have recently won contracts abroad. I've been with the company 7 years started as a labourer and now run my own teams and jobs.
The deal is I'd be living out there and working as a site foreman, running gangs of local guys & making sure the job is done upto our standards etc.

It's seems like quite a good opportunity and will hopefully better my career, plus it'll be a bonus to see a bit more of the world .

So what's it actually like out there?

Fucking hot I should imagine Danny.

Braver man than me too Chief Hats off to you.
SVM 286

28th Nov 13 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Men holding hands? Daimo... wtf???
Ben J

29th Nov 13 at 07:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never saw any blokes holding hands in the whole time we were there.

Russ

29th Nov 13 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its quite common

[Edited on 29-11-2013 by Russ]
djgritt
Premium Member

29th Nov 13 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
its quite common

[Edited on 29-11-2013 by Russ]

Yep. Silly common.
Saw it plenty of times working on a plant in Surat, Gujarat (India)
See it all the time with the Indian workers on our current projects in Saudi too.

Different culture, so normal to them.

SVM 286

29th Nov 13 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Culture of homos yes?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Working abroad - Dubai 23 database queries in 0.0114429 seconds