corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Van/Car insurance...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Van/Car insurance...
Jed D

User status: Offline
27th Dec 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how does insurance work out going from a vectra b diesel to a mk4 astra VAN diesel...
Chris x

27th Dec 13 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring up your insurance and get a quote.
John

27th Dec 13 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Van normally more expensive and car insurers don't normally insure vans.
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Dec 13 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go Compare will do a quote unless they decided on dropping vans to get the whole advert on one plane banner.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daine
Premium Member

27th Dec 13 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jed your Vectra B will tow 1600kgs were as the mk4 astra van will only tow 1100kgs, just
check your weights mate before you get one, I towed a smart trailer with corsa on (corsa 800kgs+trailer 300kgs=1100kgs) with mine! thought this was ok, trailer plated 1300kgs so over weight
for van and big fine
just be careful and work your weights out mate first and try and get astra estate! cheaper road tax,
van comes under commercial.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 13 at 02:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay had problems brining his no claims back from a van to a car, he may post in more detail, but I remember it was a ball ache.
Tiger

28th Dec 13 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I know, if it's a van, it's a commercial vehicle and needs to be insured as a van, which can't be done on a car policy. At least this is what I found when insuring my own van. Even though it's 99% a campervan now, it's still classed as commercial because it's essentially a van. Dunno how this works when it's a car sized van though. Watch out though as your national speed limits are 10mph less even in an Astra van, couple of lads at work got caught out by this thinking the national speed limit was the same as a car.
Tiger

28th Dec 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And as Ian says, you can't use your car no claims bonus for a van, have to have specific van insurance. Again, I've had to go through all this with my campervan.
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daine
Jed your Vectra B will tow 1600kgs were as the mk4 astra van will only tow 1100kgs, just
check your weights mate before you get one, I towed a smart trailer with corsa on (corsa 800kgs+trailer 300kgs=1100kgs) with mine! thought this was ok, trailer plated 1300kgs so over weight
for van and big fine
just be careful and work your weights out mate first and try and get astra estate! cheaper road tax,
van comes under commercial.

vectra weighs 1370 or something like that... can pull 1300 flat....
mk4 astra van pulls 1100, thats 200kg less but i do see your point

im in two minds weather or not to get one.....

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Willay had problems brining his no claims back from a van to a car, he may post in more detail, but I remember it was a ball ache.

yeah i thought that ian...

iv tried doing quotes online with my current insurer and every single mk4 van reg im putting it they aren't recognizing

dont think its going to happen... currently looking at paying 390 for next year on the vectra dti and going via gocompare im looking at 590 for a mk4 1.7dti van... ideally would want a 2.0l dti van but they seem to be quite hard to find

mite have to give this a miss, maybe get a vectra c or something...
Tiger

28th Dec 13 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an Omega estate, can get shit loads in them, my cousin uses one as can get a full size door in the back. The 2.5 diesel is a bmw block too so reliable and will go on forever.
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Get an Omega estate, can get shit loads in them, my cousin uses one as can get a full size door in the back. The 2.5 diesel is a bmw block too so reliable and will go on forever.

decent call mate but would be a case of find a half decent one local enough... when i went to get the vectra i looked at over 15 vectra b 2l dtis that day... had to be a good one
dont see many omegas but il deffo have a look
Tiger

28th Dec 13 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like you say, it's a long shot, and the body will drop off them before the engine goes worth a look though.
Dave

28th Dec 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll have to change insurer, although lots have an offshoot that deals with commercials.

I transferred my NCB from car to van with no issues though.

Also an Astra comes under car derived van and has the same speed restrictions as the equivalent car, so long as it's not over 2 tonne.
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had a quick look at omegas... nearly all them are automatic
AndyCorsaSport

28th Dec 13 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't beat a good auto barge.
Tiger

28th Dec 13 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D
just had a quick look at omegas... nearly all them are automatic

If you want a hard working steed, it'll not let you down. I don't know why auto's get a bad rep. Ok, if it was your weekend rocket, an auto wouldn't be great, but for a workhorse it's fine.
Jimbothebarbarian

28th Dec 13 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had any hassle insuring vans and cars for personal use. Loads of people do it.

Had a small amount of hassle when changing insurance no claims from commercial use back to personal use as only a few companies will do that.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 13 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Auto is better for towing anyway.
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its sounds shameful but i physically cant drive an auto... had to pull an old auto volvo in the workshop when i worked at an accident and repair place... i couldn't do it
John

28th Dec 13 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you physically have a problem pressing less pedals to make the car move?
Jed D

28th Dec 13 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got too used to manual cant get my head around it... i just say pulled away in it... im a manual only driver

found it wierd driving the ferrari 360 flappy paddle gears round a track when i did that for my 21st... didnt like it

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by Jed D]
tom130691
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you get used to it after 10miles or so in an auto

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Van/Car insurance... 24 database queries in 0.0174160 seconds