corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Phone not connecting to TP-Link Powerline Wireless

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Phone not connecting to TP-Link Powerline Wireless
deano87

User status: Offline
6th Dec 13 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've installed this Powerline adapter kit at the girlfriends. Unfortunately their BT Home Hub v2.0 Type A doesn't have a WPS button so couldn't clone the WiFi settings (not without installing driver software) etc. So we're running off the WiFi built into the adapter.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2244&model=TL-WPA4220KIT

Girlfriends phone connects fine, girlfriends mums phone connects fine and 2 x laptops have connected fine.

But my phone connects fine, but won't actually access the internet. It is on IP defined by the device, 192.168.1.77. Girlfriends and other devices are on 65, 64 and 66. This laptop is on 68.

Now if I manually change the IP on my phone to 68, it'll conflict with the laptop but then the internet works.

I've tried changing the IP to 63 or 67 (i.e. one that hasn't be assigned to a device) but it still doesn't work.

Any ideas - only really bought the bloody thing for my phone!

deano87

6th Dec 13 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.S. it's on WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security and phone HTC One S. And just updated to the latest Firmware.

[Edited on 08-12-2013 by deano87]
deano87

8th Dec 13 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So occasionally the phone works, occasionally not. Tends to be when fewer people are accessing the WiFi.

Any ideas?
deano87

6th Jan 14 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one helped but I have found a pattern for when it does and doesn't work.

When I'm sitting extremely close to the powerline adaptor, it doesn't work. If I go into the next room, it works.

Any reason why WiFi wouldn't work close to the access point?
Tiger

6th Jan 14 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried changing the wifi channel? You can get interference that can play havoc with connections.
Dom

6th Jan 14 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your phone connect to the BT Home Hub without issue? If so, what IP address are you given?

Is the Powerline WAP (wireless access point) setup to create a hotspot with the same settings as the BT Home Hub, ie - same SSID/Wireless Password/Wireless Channel?

Firstly, reset the WAP and make sure the firmware is up to date (use a computer connected to the ethernet port); if not, update it (download is on the site; update via the WAP's admin panel - login in using browser and the WAP's IP address, usually 192.168.1.1, as you would with a router).

Secondly, set the network IP address of the WAP to something other than the BT Home Hub (if it isn't already) to prevent address conflict, eg - if the BT Home Hub is set to 192.168.1.1 then set the WAP to 192.168.1.2 etc (ideally you also want to set the DHCP IP Address range on the Home Hub so the WAP's IP isn't included).

Thirdly, i'd set the WAP up to create a hotspot using different wireless settings - different SSID/Wireless Password/Wireless Channel to the BT Home Hub.
You'd usually just clone the settings (either WPS or manually enter the settings) from the wireless gateway/router to create a 'seamless' network but it can cause headaches.

If all goes to plan, you should be able to connect to the WAP (using the WAP's settings, not the BT Home Hub) and get dealt an IP similar to what you would if you connect to the Home Hub.
Failing that try using a static address (making sure the gateway and subnet is set to the address of the Home Hub) and/or try changing the WAP's wireless encryption protocol (ie, test using WEP; then try WPA etc) just to see if it's the phone throwing a wobbler over encryption.

Edit - Tbf, i'd first see if there isn't an IP conflict on the network. From reading the manual it seems the WAP uses the 192.168.1.1 address for the admin interface and, iirc, Home Hub's uses the same.

[Edited on 06-01-2014 by Dom]
Dom

6th Jan 14 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Tried changing the wifi channel? You can get interference that can play havoc with connections.

But then you'd assume the closer you are to the wireless access point the better the connection and interference would occur further away you were.
Saying that i've seen stranger things dealing with WAP's so it's worth a try
deano87

7th Jan 14 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Advice cheers Dom.

Because the Homehub doesn't have a WPS button I'm using the WAP settings. I have however updated the firmware and logged in using the appropriate software. Only thing could be the network IP conflict.

Then again, could just be my phone as all other devices are absolutely fine, including my Galaxy Tab 3

[Edited on 07-01-2014 by deano87]

New Poll