corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Excel question (array/multiple columns)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Excel question (array/multiple columns)
Matt L

User status: Offline
6th Jan 14 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normally I would google this but I cant seem to find a decent answer.

basically I have the current formula (not as big also I have range names in there for each column but this is to get the idea).

{= Max (if(C2:C5="x",E2:E5:G2:G5:I2:I5)}

Basically I have data as follows

| c | d | e | f | g | h | I
1 | x |10 | 20 | 35 | 30 | 10| 20
2 | Y | 5 | 10 | 5 | 25 | 30 | 6

Basically I want the formula to return 30 not 35 which it is currently giving me (I assume its because I am using : in the formula so it is looking between column E + G so its picking up the 35??)

This make anysense? (ideally id prefer not to use code)

edit: trying to get example to format

[Edited on 06-01-2014 by Matt L]
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Jan 14 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Upload your workbook somewhere and post a link. Remove any sensitive or proprietary data obviously.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do.
Dom

6th Jan 14 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you stick Max within the IF statement?

Eg, if you're attempting to get the max value of each row based on the Yes/No boolean then you'd do (returns zero if boolean is No/False) -
code:
=IF(C1="x",MAX(D1:I1),0)

Doing this gets you something like -

[Edited on 06-01-2014 by Dom]
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Jan 14 at 00:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Surely you stick Max within the IF statement?

That would include rows marked as 'y' in the first column - as what you would be doing by putting the MAX inside the IF is saying, if 'x' exists in the first column, then return the MAX of range (E2:E5,G2:G5,I2:I5).

I think what he's trying to do is return the MAX of range (E2:E5,G2:G5,I2:I5) only taking into consideration rows marked 'x'.

i.e. he's trying to find the MAX of an array with non-contiguous rows and columns. This might do the job:

{=MAX(IF(C2:C5="x",E2:E5),IF(C2:C5="x",G2:G5),IF(C2:C5="x",I2:I5))}
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Jan 14 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt L

7th Jan 14 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Rob, I shall try that, didnt think to do it by column although I have a feeling this may slow the sheet down (already slow with it being an array formula).
evilrob
Premium Member

7th Jan 14 at 13:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It *should* be faster because technically it's examining fewer cells than your original formula.

New Poll