corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PlayStation Now - play PlayStation games directly on your TV or phone, no console needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PlayStation Now - play PlayStation games directly on your TV or phone, no console needed
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jan 14 at 09:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284294/sony-announces-playstation-now-cloud-gaming

Seems decades ago that we were told this was the future of gaming.

Looking forward to more info on prices, game catalogue and scheduled Europe release.
And of course, details about input lag.

Curiously, no word on how you'd control games, if not using a console.
Emulating the DS3's 17 buttons and 2 thumb sticks on a touch screen is going to be a bitch.

[Edited on 08-01-2014 by Balling]

Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe the Steam box is going to depend heavily on this to overcome compatibility issues with older titles. Still using a console mind, but just as a streaming interface.

I'm narrowminded enough to say that if a game can be suitably controlled by a touch screen, then it's going to be a shit game anyway.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Emulating the DS3's 17 buttons and 2 thumb sticks on a touch screen is going to be a bitch.

I've got a few PSX titles on my phone via emulator and they are difficult with touch. Even something as simple as Abes Odyssey.
Dom

8th Jan 14 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
And of course, details about input lag.

You get lag both ways and it makes for an unpleasant gaming experience; just try OnLive. Only real solution to minimise the lag is to stick the servers within an ISPs network but it's unlikely to ever happen due to costs.

Nice idea but doesn't translate in the real world unfortunately.
Balling
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only played a few demos on OnLive, but never found input lag to be a huge issue.

I think, for casual gamers, this solution makes perfect sense - given that the price is right.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:

I've got a few PSX titles on my phone via emulator and they are difficult with touch. Even something as simple as Abes Odyssey.

What's the emulator? Playstation games? Would love Wipeout on my mobile.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, you said PSX anyway.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The app is called 'FPse' if your still bothered.

Roms from Coolrom.com
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, lost interest in those 29mins mate, cheers anyway.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh great, now I'm sat listening to the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack. I'd like to share this with you guys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUC4K3DsXug
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well thats shit
Brett
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wipeout soundtrack was awesome ffs

How about Firestarter without the vocals? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEvDmeXUCJE

[Edited on 08-01-2014 by Brett]
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 14 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK thats good.

New Poll