corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mates new m3

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mates new m3
ed

User status: Offline
21st Jan 14 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love internet engineers.
Wrighty

21st Jan 14 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can go pretty badly wrong those floors
big eck

21st Jan 14 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It kinda reminds me of the Corsa B notorious b-pillars cracking
Graham88

22nd Jan 14 at 04:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Well it is because not only the metal around the cracks but every join on the panel is weakened

So you've read the internet stories then where there are a couple of cases where they have got that bad. That's because the owners are fucking dicks not to notice movement in the rear of the car and they deserve it.

But 98% never get this far and are spotted upon inspection before the owner even notices anything wrong, so no, welding the cracks and welding in strengthening plates is not a bodge.

[Edited on 22-01-2014 by Graham88]
taylorboosh

22nd Jan 14 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For that metal to crack even a bit, the whole panel must have been stressed and fatigued....
ed

22nd Jan 14 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

djgritt
Premium Member

22nd Jan 14 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
That's because the owners are fucking dicks not to notice movement in the rear of the car and they deserve it.

The owners deserve to bitten on the arse by a BMW Manufacturing/Design issue? Bit harsh.
John

22nd Jan 14 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not everyone who buys an M3 is an elite race driver. Although the back end hanging off should be noticeable, if you've just bought it because it's a top spec model and don't care about internet arguments over which factory they are built in, it might not be.
Graham88

22nd Jan 14 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
That's because the owners are fucking dicks not to notice movement in the rear of the car and they deserve it.

The owners deserve to bitten on the arse by a BMW Manufacturing/Design issue? Bit harsh.

Every car has faults though? Skodas all get wet carpets thanks to leaky door seals? Focus RS's crack around the top mounts? Astra 1.9's suffer with DMF Failure? All Astra's suffer with alternator failure? Mazda 3 MPS suffer with rear ARB mounts knocking? EGR Valves fail on most cars?

All things that can be noticed by the owner and in most cases all manufacturers will honour a common fault, like BMW are doing. But if your in the same position as me with a modified car that BMW won't repair, I'll just get it sorted with no real drama? It's a complete mountain out of a mole hill and typical internet story that makes it seems worse than it is because nobody puts a topic up saying how nice their subframe is looking...
taylorboosh

22nd Jan 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Prove me wrong ?
smcGSI16V

22nd Jan 14 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:

Every car has faults though? Skodas all get wet carpets thanks to leaky door seals? Focus RS's crack around the top mounts? Astra 1.9's suffer with DMF Failure? All Astra's suffer with alternator failure? Mazda 3 MPS suffer with rear ARB mounts knocking? EGR Valves fail on most cars?

All things that can be noticed by the owner and in most cases all manufacturers will honour a common fault, like BMW are doing. But if your in the same position as me with a modified car that BMW won't repair, I'll just get it sorted with no real drama? It's a complete mountain out of a mole hill and typical internet story that makes it seems worse than it is because nobody puts a topic up saying how nice their subframe is looking...

But its not really a minor issue as you've previously stated. Its a pretty serious structural and safety issue and doesn't really compare to a car with EGR and alternator failure problems.

I think you need to take some blinkers off.
Tiger

22nd Jan 14 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
4k fix on 7k car

7k now, 50k new.

repairers don't usually become cheaper when the price of high end cars comes down to affordable levels.

Think I'll have to get rid of the z4 earlier than planned if these are 6k now.

It's a 3 series though, is that part M sepcific? If not it's a repair on a 25k car, not a 50k one.

Ive got the bill of sale for my 330Ci Clubsport somewhere, that was just over £45k from BMW. Obviously it wasnt me that bought it new but still.
John

22nd Jan 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The part of the car being scrutinised here is the same as the one on the base model though. So it's not as if it's some /////////MMMMMM bit that they can put /M tax on, it's a bit that's part of the standard car.
Ben G

22nd Jan 14 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the implications on safety if a standard e46 m3 with a buggered rear end was to have someone hit them from behind at 70mph?
Dave

22nd Jan 14 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh being hit from behind at 70mph in any car isn't going to end well.

Looking at the damage in that video I'd guess not much difference, it's the suspension that's suffering rather than impact resistance, you've got to crumple most of the wheel well before you get to the affected panel.
SVM 286

22nd Jan 14 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvyfSpHpx6A

Can't help thinking that should have been attended to well before it to go that point.

Yeah, i'd like to think i'd have noticed that a bit sooner Ian.
Jambo

22nd Jan 14 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The part of the car being scrutinised here is the same as the one on the base model though. So it's not as if it's some /////////MMMMMM bit that they can put /M tax on, it's a bit that's part of the standard car.

True: but it's the ///Mmmmmmm bits bolted to it that are putting larger forces through the floor. So not so black and white. Not sure how it works with the E46 but the E36 was a boggo 3series shell with strengthening floor plates welded in. Maybe they didn't bother with these as the overall tortional rigidity was vastly improved? I.e not for seeing a problem. As where these "go" is exactly where my car has plates welded in (in factory)

Either way, they didn't do their sums clearly.

Graham88

23rd Jan 14 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
What are the implications on safety if a standard e46 m3 with a buggered rear end was to have someone hit them from behind at 70mph?

No different at all, the chassis floor is wafer thin, the chassis legs are still the same thickness which would take up the impact.
taylorboosh

23rd Jan 14 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balls

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mates new m3 23 database queries in 0.0149910 seconds