corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » South Africa - any good for a honeymoon?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author South Africa - any good for a honeymoon?
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
   17th Feb 14 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i'm getting married in June, looking at honeymoon destinations this is one of our favs (no, I don't plan on having her murdered), but i'm not sure on general safety. We'd be looking to do a few nights in Jo'berg, then the garden route over to the East, with 2 days safari at the end - about 10-14 days in total.

Has anyone done this? Any tips or recommendations?

Any help really appreciated, want to make it a bit more of a trip of a lifetime than a holiday.
chrisritch

17th Feb 14 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shrien Dewani thought it was a great place to go I hear

Edit - didnt realise you had already made that joke

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by chrisritch]
Cavey

17th Feb 14 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cue a bunch of idiots telling you you're going to get killed.

I've got family in Capetown (who have somehow survived for 5 years or so since moving out there) so planning something similar for our honeymoon actually, flight out to CT, bit of shark diving on the coast, then a few days safari in the Okavango delta, back to CT after that. My mum went on the safari a few years ago and said it was great. Have to make sure you get the right time of the year though, wet season/dry season etc...

Went to Jo'berg about 10 years ago for Christmas, dont remember much that'll help you form an opinion though I'm afraid.
Cavey

17th Feb 14 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The exchange rate is brilliant for us at the moment too. General safety is the same as any other city. Dont walk around flashing your phone, jewellery, cash etc... And nothing will happen
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hear you might be able to rent a luxury villa in Pretoria on the cheap soon...
evilrob
Premium Member

17th Feb 14 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top tip: Learn this, in case you need to say 'prawn' to a deaf person:

jrsteeve

17th Feb 14 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Cue a bunch of idiots telling you you're going to get killed.

I've got family in Capetown (who have somehow survived for 5 years or so since moving out there) so planning something similar for our honeymoon actually, flight out to CT, bit of shark diving on the coast, then a few days safari in the Okavango delta, back to CT after that. My mum went on the safari a few years ago and said it was great. Have to make sure you get the right time of the year though, wet season/dry season etc...

Went to Jo'berg about 10 years ago for Christmas, dont remember much that'll help you form an opinion though I'm afraid.

Bollocks I meant Cape Town, not Jo'berg
jrsteeve

17th Feb 14 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so far
Cavey

17th Feb 14 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cape town is definitely where you should be aiming for. June is obviously winter over there though, not as cold as here, but not what you'd probably be expecting (dont know if you were planning to go straight after the wedding) my mum reckons Feb is the best time to go weather wise. So I'm guessing Oct/Nov will be getting warmer again. From what I remembered, April was best for the safari, but can't remember exactly off the top of my head

Ignore that, best time for safari seems to be June to August for water safari, Sept/Oct for land animals, and Nov to April for bitds (for the Okavango)
Supposedly Nov to March for Kruger (which I now remember is where my mum went)

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by Cavey]
jacko198

17th Feb 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Folks go over every year. Pretty much do what you want to so but in reverse! Safari first. Then garden route, franschhoek etc going to vineyards. Sounds perfect to me. Am planning on doing the same thing tbh sometime
deano87

17th Feb 14 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
Shrien Dewani thought it was a great place to go I hear

Edit - didnt realise you had already made that joke

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by chrisritch]

I only clicked to read to make this joke
jrsteeve

18th Feb 14 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Cape town is definitely where you should be aiming for. June is obviously winter over there though, not as cold as here, but not what you'd probably be expecting (dont know if you were planning to go straight after the wedding) my mum reckons Feb is the best time to go weather wise. So I'm guessing Oct/Nov will be getting warmer again. From what I remembered, April was best for the safari, but can't remember exactly off the top of my head

Ignore that, best time for safari seems to be June to August for water safari, Sept/Oct for land animals, and Nov to April for bitds (for the Okavango)
Supposedly Nov to March for Kruger (which I now remember is where my mum went)

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by Cavey]

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Got a KLM flight via Amsterdam for £600 which isn't too bad, looks like it's a go!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » South Africa - any good for a honeymoon? 23 database queries in 0.0071430 seconds