corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky TV in another room without multiroom

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky TV in another room without multiroom
Ste
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Mar 14 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I want to achieve is getting sky from downstairs into the bedroom. Not arsed about multiroom subscription as we would never use both at once.

My set-up currently is like this

downstairs; sky+hd box with wifi (latest one), 55" samsung smart tv, pc connected to tv.
upstairs; pc connected to tv (no aerial and no hard wired ethernet)

Currently accessing my films on downstairs pc via powerline adapters.

Don't really fancy running wired ethernet to upstairs as it's a rented property so don't want to drill the walls. That rules out hdmi over cat6.

What are my options? what would you do?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Gary
Premium Member

6th Mar 14 at 07:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless hdmi?
Rob_Quads

6th Mar 14 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup wireless HDMI would be the way to go IMO
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Mar 14 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have rf outlets in all rooms can be done via that
Ste
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 05:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new sky boxes don't have rf out and signal quality over rf is shite

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Wireless hdmi?

what's decent, how much am i lookin at? Better than the old shitty sender things that have about a meter range?

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by Brett]
Ste
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still looking at £125 for a decent system. I would like to somehow get it over a powerline adapter as i have the ethernet to upstairs on it

John

7th Mar 14 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 1 wire cat5 adaptors just use a 100mb ethernet chip. You could try it but not really confident of it working.
Dom

8th Mar 14 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Wireless hdmi?

Best and only real option.

If you're not running lengths of Cat5/6 then it rules out P2P baluns and HDMI-over-IP requires Gb connections and adaptors are vastly more expensive than £125 ('Just add Power' is around £400 for a TX/RX pair).
Not sure where Powerline adaptors are coming into it, you're not doing anything with those with regards to HDMI
Toby
Premium Member

8th Mar 14 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
If you have rf outlets in all rooms can be done via that

Exactly what the previous owners of my house did. Wasn't to bad an effort. He removed all existing cabling and feed through some good quality cabling into a booster in the loft that then fed every room again. Was useful prior to getting multi room.
LeeM

8th Mar 14 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
new sky boxes don't have rf out and signal quality over rf is shite

mins only 6 months old and has rf out, quality is fine. not HD but good enough for the bedroom
Rob_Quads

8th Mar 14 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Not sure where Powerline adaptors are coming into it, you're not doing anything with those with regards to HDMI

In theory could you no do video over IP and use the Powerline adapters to provide the IP network without running extra wires? I'm pretty sure the current power line adapters are not reliable/quick enough for this sort of application and also video over IP is more expensive than WirelessHDMI (last time I looked)
Dom

8th Mar 14 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
In theory....

I should have added that there are Gb powerline adaptors (Belkin do a set that are around £150-200; how good they are i don't know), so yes, in theory it could work. But HDMI-over-IP is expensive as is, stick in some Gb powerline adaptors and it'd be cheaper to get multiroom installed

Going wireless is about the only option if Ste doesn't want to stick cables down; alternatively run a few lengths of CAT5/6 and use baluns.

[Edited on 08-03-2014 by Dom]
John

8th Mar 14 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can run cat5 just run an HDMI cable.
ash_corsa

9th Mar 14 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you can run cat5 just run an HDMI cable.

He can't as it's rented
John

9th Mar 14 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can read, it was in reply to Dom's post above mine.

People probably also don't know that you can run fairly lengthy hdmi cables and assume you need cat5, when you don't.

Thanks though.
pow
Premium Member

9th Mar 14 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ikon AVS do screw end HDMI terminators as well
Hammer

9th Mar 14 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky Go on the PC connected to the upstairs TV or have I missed something blatantly obvious?
John

9th Mar 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good to know pow, hadn't seen them before.

You could run cat5 then terminate with those instead of using converters/baluns.
pow
Premium Member

9th Mar 14 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use them at work. That company is GREAT, I use their amps, USB, VGA and HDMI terminations. Cut the end off a 10/15/20m lead from CPc, run it through walls/ceilings etc then finish it to a nice custom made panel.
Ste
Premium Member

10th Mar 14 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Sky Go on the PC connected to the upstairs TV or have I missed something blatantly obvious?

This. Didn't know it was available on the pc, so going to set it up and see how it is. My only concern is streaming video over slow internet connection. Ive moved from a 150meg virgin cable to 1.5meg adsl

Hammer

10th Mar 14 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Parents use it exclusively on a TV in their house, think it's a 50 meg Virgin line, with no complaints.
andy1868

11th Mar 14 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had been using NowTV to stream movies on a 2meg connection up til last week. Was fine as long as everyone wasn't using the web at the same time, quality dropped if people were but would continue playing. I would imagine it to be something similar with SkyGo perhaps?

See how it goes, if it's shite look at something else!
Toby
Premium Member

11th Mar 14 at 23:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Only drawback being sky go has a limited number of channels.
Hammer

12th Mar 14 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mostly +1's though and the rest of the shite no one has ever watched.

They added a load at the end of last year.

New Poll