corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Music organizer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Music organizer
John

User status: Offline
21st Mar 14 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has there been some software written that will do this all automatically yet, preferably without completely butchering it.

Got probably a terabyte of music (lots of it duplicated) mostly mp3. I don't want anything fancy. Just want the duplicates binned and it all organised in nice artist - album folders, just the usual.

I've spent hours going through some of it before but got very fed up and it's sat for years in a mess.

Seen http://beets.radbox.org/ Linux isn't my normal choice of OS but I could point a linux box at the collection if that would definitely work.
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like something you could fairly easily do with iTunes.

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just set the folder to your desired destination and import everything.

Might need to spend some time organising some things manually in iTunes, depending on the ID3 tags of the original files.

John

22nd Mar 14 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried the iTunes thing years ago and lost lots of music. Never trusted KT since.
Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, can't say I've ever used iTunes under Windows, but using the "copy files" option I can't see how your original files would be in any danger.

Balling
Premium Member

22nd Mar 14 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worth noting that iTunes is vastly different these days than it was years ago. At least on Mac.

Dom

22nd Mar 14 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Tried the iTunes thing years ago and lost lots of music. Never trusted KT since.

Likewise, iTunes (was 11) ran riot through my collection miss-tagging a lot of it and randomly throwing tracks around directories. It's probably fine if you're purchasing through iTunes but otherwise i wouldn't trust it with a barge pole.

Since spending about a week putting it right, i've stuck with doing it manually using MP3Tag. Beets does look interesting but i'm not sure my tagging OCD will allow it
Welsh Dan

23rd Mar 14 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say go with iTunes too. Leave the copy option on, and if it doesn't do it how you like, you still have the originals in their original folder. I'm pretty OCD about my music too, and I'm more than happy with the way that iTunes organises it.
John

23rd Mar 14 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried a musicbrainz thing which continually crashed so went against my better judgement and tried itunes. It's 11k out of 49k and has already put compilations into individual folders, which is exactly what it done 5 years ago or whenever I tried.

Looks like it's just as shit as it always was.
Balling
Premium Member

23rd Mar 14 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has a folder called "Compilations" with subfolders by album.

Like I said, possibly you need to edit some things manually in iTunes, depending on the original files ID3 tags.

Try selecting all songs in a compilation and choose "Get info".

Ensure "Album" is filled out. If it's empty, they don't have the same album name, so edit this.

Then go to the Options tab and make sure "Part of a compilation" is set to "Yes".

Pretty sure this will sort it for you.

[Edited on 23-03-2014 by Balling]

Welsh Dan

24th Mar 14 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Balling beat me to it. As long as the album name is the same and the drop down box says yes to compilation, they'll all be in the same folder. I'd suggest adding smaller numbers of songs at the same time, rather than hundreds/thousands of songs in one go.

New Poll