corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virgin fibre BB, poor connectivity?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virgin fibre BB, poor connectivity?
Gaz

User status: Offline
4th May 14 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm stumped. I knew the 'super hubs' were shit prior to signing up so I've turned in into 'modem only' mode and I'm now running a belkin enhanced wireless router from it.

The issue: I'm getting shit connectivity. Speed tests give me the 30mb I'm signed up to but loading things like twitter, Facebook, web pages and games that I know are not having flaky connections are all a bit hit and miss.
Looking over the belkins settings, I'm not changing anything from standard, should I be? Networking isn't my strongest area in IT.
Gaz

4th May 14 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this in the realms of DNS?
Aaron

4th May 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have thought it would be DNS judging by the symptoms.

Is it a connection which requires micro filters? If so, changing them is the first thing i'd do.

Another thing to check is the quality of the cables from your modem to wall socket. I was moaning and groaning about constant slowness and disconnections a while back, but it wasn't until i took the router into a shop that i noticed the RJ-11 cable had been chewed through by our rabbit. (along with the RJ-45 connecting my Media Centre to the network). Little git.

[Edited on 04-05-2014 by Aaron]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th May 14 at 23:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its fibre so it wont be rj11 which is normally used for ADSL riggghtttt?

You need to rule out some devices, so maybe try plugging in straight into the modem, or even use the super hub feature and turn it into a full on wireless AP and see if the performance is any better.

If it doesn't get better then you know its not your network devices, perhaps try a different PC/mobile and see if the performance is any different.

Dom

5th May 14 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
its fibre so it wont be rj11 which is normally used for ADSL riggghtttt?

It's coax (FTTC like majority of other consumer 'fibre' product) and everything from the modem back (cable, socket, outside etc) belongs to VM anyway, so you aren't technically allowed to replace it.

Gaz - As said, put the super hub into 'modem only' and connect your computer directly to it; see how it is then.
By flaky, is it a case of pages not loading or loading slowly?
And is this during peak hours or any time (ideally test during early hours)? - If it's peak hours, then congested UBR (like an exchange) is likely your issue.

I'd log in to the super hub and make note of the stats (up/downstream power levels and SNR), then have a look on the VM forums and see if your stats fall within limits - it's possible that you have a fault and dodge stats will indicate that.

[Edited on 05-05-2014 by Dom]
Gaz

5th May 14 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I only get chance to browse the web at peak hours so that could very well be the case.

When I refer to the connection being flaky, I mean pages load very slowly to begin with. On our iPhones, occasionally the likes of fb and twitter won't load new content and games such as mini clip pool bomb me out of games part way through which I'm presuming my connection has gone or is not responding for X amount of time.

It's more annoying than anything and from googling around, many others have had the same but without resolution.
Dom

5th May 14 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, check your power levels and SNR and obviously check the 'status' on the VM site just to make sure there isn't a fault in the area.
Then have a look on the VM forums and cableforum.co.uk as it's worth seeing if other people in your area are having similar issues.

If it is peak hours then congestion is probably the issue in which case there isn't a huge amount you can do other than complaing to VM (and keep doing it until it's sorted). If you can however, it's worth seeing what the connection is like in the early hours or alternatively setup a PC with Thinkbroadband's Ping Monitor and leave it running for a week or two as it will give you a pretty good picture of your connection (plus arms you with loads of info that you can take to VM).

[Edited on 05-05-2014 by Dom]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

6th May 14 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If performance is dodgy on multiple devices then try removing your wireless AP and using Virgin's own.

New Poll