corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Gaming PC

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gaming PC
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 14 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, if you buy OEM windows now all you get is a CD Key.. no CD.. so you will need to find someone who has a copy of win7 home/pro and just use your key.
Eck
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems simple enough. Guess it's no different in regards to installing?
Dom

23rd Jul 14 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
...so you will need to find someone who has a copy of win7 home/pro....

Or download it from the Microsoft website like everyone else
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well yea.. or that.
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Seems simple enough. Guess it's no different in regards to installing?

its a dream to install.

put the cd in.. let it work its magic and then let it update.

very easy.
Eck
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks lads I've found an OEM key for 36 quid on oem-global, but does anyone know of a more.... Mainstream sort of site? Unsure that one is that legit
Eck
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and the spec I've decided to go for:
PCS T900 case
AMD FX 6300 six core CPU
Gigabyte 970A-DSP3 Motherboard
4GB Kingston Dual DDR3 RAM
2GB Nvidia GeForce 770 GTX Graphics Card
1 TB Western Digital HDD
Corsair VS 550 power supply

That's the basics anyway I know there are better CPU's and I can always upgrade the ram, but for now its literally just to play DayZ. Hence spending more on the GPU.
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont get AMD..

just dont.

Dayz is more CPU intensive than GPU so if its to only play Dayz.. get a very good CPU..

i7-4770K for example.

[Edited on 23-07-2014 by chris_uk]
Eck
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I looked at that, but that seems massively overkill? One of my friends who plays it only uses an AMD quad core, and it runs well on basic settings too? And all advice I've had so far has lead to a better GPU?
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive played Arma for years and years.. the way the game engine works needs a powerful CPU.

i did a test. i got better fps from overclocking to 3.8ghz than i did with standard clocking and a GTX680ti.

it wasnt marginal FPS either.. it was considerable but obviously both together game the best and thats what i run it at now.

if your buying a maching to solely play dayz.. why would you buy one that just scrapes through using basic settings?

seems pointless
Eck
Premium Member

23rd Jul 14 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you actually played it using an AMD fx 6300, or is that just a general thing? If the former, then I'll definitely consider changing the spec.
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 06:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In honesty No i havent i avoid them and ati gpu's due to poor drivers and game compatability..

But i have had mates which have had amd and they all now run i7's and tell me how everything 'just works'

Most game developers use invidia and intel anyway because they are the better chipset that tells me all i need to know.

The amd chip is deffo the cheaper option but if you look at reviews the i7-4770k and benchmark tests it just out performs it on the majority of stuff.

[Edited on 24-07-2014 by chris_uk]
Dom

24th Jul 14 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 15 years ago, AMD actually produced decent CPU's but they've been playing catch up ever since. Intel is definitely the way to go, even an i5 would be fine.

However there's nothing wrong with AMD GPU's, in fact a lot of cards bench higher (in certain games and apps) than the equivalent nVidia card. So i wouldn't rule them out.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need an i7 for games, stick with an i5.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get me wrong, I know Intel chips are better, and the i7 series are leagues ahead in all benchmarks, but it does seem overkill If it was going to be for more than just DayZ, and I streamed etc, then an Intel CPU is where I'd be heading.
Besides, if I need extra power, it seems the FX is good for over clocking (I'm aware the Intel is too), but I don't think it'll be necessary.
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ati cards are faster than some nvidia cards no doubt.. But take into account all the fucking about with drivers etc and its just not worth the hassle.. Honestly, game developers use nvidia as they prefer it.. Nvidia drivers are better and are leading the matket and always have done in my eyes as a conplete package.. Im on loads of game forums for various games and you read it all the time. Drivers stopping working, having to use aftermarket drivers to get anything decent, the control centre is pants, the crossfire support on games is crap..

Nvidia does physx and number of other stuff..

But your getting a nvidia card anyway so disaster dodged!

Lol
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, that's one thing that has cropped up time and again tbh. I could have went for an R9 280x AMD GPU for roughly the same price as the Nvidia, but the latter beat it hands down on every review and opinion I've read.
chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 10:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Don't get me wrong, I know Intel chips are better, and the i7 series are leagues ahead in all benchmarks, but it does seem overkill If it was going to be for more than just DayZ, and I streamed etc, then an Intel CPU is where I'd be heading.
Besides, if I need extra power, it seems the FX is good for over clocking (I'm aware the Intel is too), but I don't think it'll be necessary.

Then get a cheaper intel chip and overclock it if you need to.

Im not gunna keep going on about it but dayz standalone will use a mixture of the VR3 and VR4 engine and they are very CpU intensive.. They load all objects on the map and use the cpu to do all the calculations etc.. Its basically a crap unoptimized engine but thats what they are using..

Generally games with all these fancy graphics like bf4, cod etc will all run fine on a slower cpu due to how the game is coded.. They are pretty well optimized.

I have a 3.8ghz cpu (i7-920) and a 680gtx and i struggle to get 40/50 fps with everything on medium. As soon as you get into a town like cherno or electro 25fps at a push.. The mod for arma2 ran at 60fps almost all the time, 40ish in towns.

Anyway, you know my 2pence worth.

chris_uk
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and just to add.. Buy a smaller 120gb ssd and run dayz standalone from that, it helps give faster frames.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 14 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've gathered you don't like AMD stuff Thanks for the advice Much appreciated!
PhilC

29th Jul 14 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used G2A for a Win 8 Pro key last week. Was about £11.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll