corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar, Any experience?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar, Any experience?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 15 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet again I'm toying with the idea of a Camper and these are cheap as chips, plus well finished campers are still £20k+ so it would have some sort of re-sale value, obviously I'm not looking to make a profit but I would like to know I've not wasted a few grand

I have been told however the 2.0cdti versions are complete and utter shit, riddled with electrical problems, catastrophic bottom-end failures and injector woes due to corrosion and drainage issues.

So that leaves the 1.9 (which is only available until 2006) and the 2.5 which seems to be phased out around 2010/11..

Has anyone had experience of the later 2.0's? i.e. have the reliability problems been sorted?

SVM 286

23rd Jun 15 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worked on a few of the 1.9 and 2.0 variants Davey.

When they are right, they drive very nicely in my experience.

They do seem to be developed around more car, rather than commercial vehicle derived hardware/technology though and tend to wear certain things out at an accelerated rate.

I've changed a few injector rails.

They seem to like wearing out ball joints, wishbone bushes, drop links, roll bar bushes, track rod ends and track rods.

They also like a leaky & worn rack and are mad keen at spitting the back casing of the PAS pump clean off!

On the plus side, this could be why they drive like they do.

Short of a Transit, they are the most car-like vans I think i've driven.

I always found Sprinters, Vitos and (sorry Nic) Transporters, to feel very agricultural and wearing to drive over any distance.

And even though the Trafic/Vivaro has a face only a mother could love, it's a vehicle I wouldn't mind driving on a daily basis, entirely down to it's overall practicality and general ease/pleasantness of use.

If cheap enough, probably a viable purchase. But it will need fixing, unless it's been owned from new and carefully used by either a florist or a baker.
SVM 286

23rd Jun 15 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and I think about the latest one I worked on was an 06, although there might have been an 09.

Not seen or driven any 2.5s though.
DaveyLC

23rd Jun 15 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286

This is one of the main reasons to choose one, when you arrive at your destination you don't want to feel like you've just driven a dumper truck around the world

quote:
I always found Sprinters, Vitos and (sorry Nic) Transporters, to feel very agricultural and wearing to drive over any distance.

The T5 is certainly one of if not THE best looking van but that's about it! I think they drive like shit.

And the gearbox is what ruins the Vito IMHO.. Drive an Auto and its like a totally different experience
DaveyLC

23rd Jun 15 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Oh and I think about the latest one I worked on was an 06, although there might have been an 09.

I did a bit of research and found a BBC Watch Dog article, apparently the high number of injector failures on the 2.0 models was because of bad drainage, the head would literally fill with water and the injectors corroded causing them to fail and the corrosion normally meant they were well stuck meaning most people had to stump up for a new head!

Apparently the design was revised in 2009 so 10 plate and newer ones are proving to be more reliable.
SVM 286

23rd Jun 15 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was so disappointed the first time I drove the three I mentioned.

I was expecting so much more, especially from something as dear as a Sprinter and wearing a Mercedes badge.

Likewise, I was utterly gobsmacked that something i'd always turned my nose up at (the Trafic), because of it's Renault badge and general ugliness, turned out to be such a delight to drive.

It's a bit like meeting a really ugly bird from a terrible town who turns out to have an amazing body, a lovely voice and a Nobel Peace Prize.
SVM 286

23rd Jun 15 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

This is one of the main reasons to choose one, when you arrive at your destination you don't want to feel like you've just driven a dumper truck around the world

Indeed.

Especially if that destination happens to be Woolacombe for instance and you've just driven there in heavy summer traffic from London/Kent/Essex/etc.
SVM 286

23rd Jun 15 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

I did a bit of research and found a BBC Watch Dog article, apparently the high number of injector failures on the 2.0 models was because of bad drainage, the head would literally fill with water and the injectors corroded causing them to fail and the corrosion normally meant they were well stuck meaning most people had to stump up for a new head!

Apparently the design was revised in 2009 so 10 plate and newer ones are proving to be more reliable.

Ah ha.

The ones I changed did require significant time, patience and persuasion to get off.

Plus a load of various penetrating solutions and heat where appropriate.

One customer supplied his own rail. A second hand one. That was rusty

Both my governor and I were convinced it would be as bad or worse, but he insisted we still fit it said he'd pay whatever, either way.

I fitted it and it was perfect!

Humble pie for lunch that day.
MikeF86

23rd Jun 15 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Later 2.0's can suffer timing chain worries. Last two thru the workshop both had jumped the timing, couldn't strip head as injectors seized etc. one had an engine, paid for in full by VX (customer loved me for that! £10k warranty bill due to time to fit a chain initially in case no damage then the hours to replace engine. Was 19.6 in total I believe). Other one we smashed rocker cover off, replaced all 4 injectors, VX paid 50% of the bill that time. Both vans 2010/11 MY, 100k ish mileage.
MikeF86

23rd Jun 15 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whichever you go for it won't matter, same van different badge.
DaveyLC

23rd Jun 15 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeF86
Whichever you go for it won't matter, same van different badge.

I know that, that's why I included all of them in the topic
deano87

23rd Jun 15 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Transit.
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Jun 15 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an 04 trafic from new. Had it for five years most of which I used it for a fuck off huge milk round! I did millions of miles in it and kicked it's head right in. I had pretty trouble free motoring. Had a few issues with brakes binding a fuel pump go and a steering rack. But I did do well over 140k in it.

Drove like a car, was that quiet people thought it was a petrol version. I had the 1.9 version.
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Jun 15 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dads had a traffic LWB for a good few years. 1.9. Not had anything major apart from the power steering shitting itself once. Few non starting issues but that was due to a bad earth I think in the end. Over all trouble free.
Used it when I moved out a couple of years back. Drives nice and nippy considering it was stuffed with all of my worldly posessions

Drives supercharged Tec with torque

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar, Any experience? 24 database queries in 0.0090859 seconds