corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Solar Panels - Good solution or nonsense?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Solar Panels - Good solution or nonsense?
blebo

User status: Offline
13th Jul 15 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking about purchasing this kit from fleabay

Ebay - Link

Its to top up my Dads boat battery when the boat is unattended. It will sit on the roof of the cabin and trickle charge a large leisure battery that is used to start the engine and run the electrics.

Will this produce enough power to make this worth while. I dont understand the calculations for amp hours etc

Thanks
Dom

13th Jul 15 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd look at something at least ten times the wattage; if you're lucky you might get nearly an amp (most mains trickle chargers are around an amp) out the thing on a bright sunny day.
Richie

13th Jul 15 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's only for keeping the battery in good condition whilst the boat is out of use - then yes that kit will be fine.

What Dom is suggesting is something that would assist with the daily power consumption whilst you were actively using it.
Richie

13th Jul 15 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also good guide for you - http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/how-to-choose/12V-solar-panel/

In particular this part :

Sometimes it is difficult to estimate the daily power consumption – especially when the power rating of individual appliances is not available or have been lost. In this case we recommend the following high-level approach:

- If you simply need to trickle charge your battery to compensate for self-discharge in your caravan, a small 5W-10W solar panel or charging kit should be sufficient

- In the case of small loads such as energy saving lighting, a stereo, mobile phone charging and low usage of a computer (2-3 hours a day), we would recommend a 40W-50W solar panel or charging kit for your motorhome

- For larger loads or heavier use including non-energy saving light bulbs, large TVs, frequent use of water pumps or other equipment, we would recommend a larger 80W-100W charging kit or solar panel.

[Edited on 13-07-2015 by Richie]
DaveyLC

13th Jul 15 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10W will just about keep an average sized leisure battery topped up.. Personally I'd go for bigger

Remember to use a charge controller, never directly connect the panel to the battery as it will eventually kill the battery.

[Edited on 13-07-2015 by DaveyLC]
Dom

13th Jul 15 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richie
... then yes that kit will be fine.

Really? Most trickle chargers are amps not < 100mA which is what you'd get out of a 10w eBay special panel, if you're lucky
Richie

13th Jul 15 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree Dom but judging by the ebay feedback everyone's happy with the kit - and specs say max output is 0.56A. If cost isn't an issue then I'd personally grab a 30w kit.

If the battery is in good condition then the self discharge rate shouldn't exceed what that kit pumps out. I'm pretty sure my Dad has a crappy kit on his Case 480F at the farm and it works well.
DaveyLC

13th Jul 15 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
... then yes that kit will be fine.

Really? Most trickle chargers are amps not < 100mA which is what you'd get out of a 10w eBay special panel, if you're lucky

10w @12v = 800mA.

[Edited on 13-07-2015 by DaveyLC]
Dom

13th Jul 15 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
....the self discharge rate shouldn't exceed what that kit pumps out.

True; i guess that is all that matters.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
10w @12v = 80mA.

10 / 12 = 0.83A or 830mA.
DaveyLC

13th Jul 15 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry missed a zero..
blebo

13th Jul 15 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info. I should have said above that the boat engine has an alternator will charge when the motor is running. I am more concerned about compensation for natural loss and running the stereo when in dock carrying out maintenance. Its a standard car radio that we use.

I just want the battery to be 100% charge every time I go to use the boat (once or twice a week)

[Edited on 13-07-2015 by blebo]
3CorsaMeal

13th Jul 15 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about buying one of them jumpstart power packs instead?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Solar Panels - Good solution or nonsense? 23 database queries in 0.0197151 seconds