corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How to make your car faster with no extra power

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How to make your car faster with no extra power
James R

User status: Offline
   1st Jun 04 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you change the final drive ratio on your gearbox to mae the box shorter, it will boost acceleration but will cut potential top speed, I've just switch from a 3.74 final to a 4.18 final meaning a boost of 12% torque at the wheel in any given gear, on my engine with will limit me to 136mph@7.5krpm, but that's more than plenty for this country, and we'll see how it affects my acceleration in a few weeks.
The 4.18 final is found in the F13Wide box's fitted to early novas, happy hunting.
Have a look at this thread for the how to
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=131112
Adam

1st Jun 04 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plagerised for CS

changed j1400's final drive from a 3.7 to a 4.18 so thought i'd do a thread on how its done, maybe it could go in the archives or something?
firstly, to check what final drive you have, look for this number, under a few layers of dirt, on the side and you'll see the f/d number there, yes it does exist!

now, get the relevant final drive that you want, and yes you need both pinion and crown wheel

now, start by removing the turret

now remove all the thirteen mm headed bolts from the sandwhich plate, now you can lever the cluster out of the box

now remove the final drive pinion, by firstly removing the circlip and either levering or pulling of

at this point we had a bit of a mince

now you're ready for the diff removal, remove the diff plate, then undo the bolt on the retaining tag for the bearing carrier castellated nut, and mark its position so you get the bearing pre load right on reasssembly, now, using a flat bar or similar, undo the nut and remove, then remove the diff assembly

undo the nuts on the pinion and remove it form the diff, this may need a tap or two, for which you can use the box as a support!

now fit your new one, and do the bolts up to torque, thenease it back into the box

then refit the cluster, remembering to fit the thrust washer back on the reverse shaft, it only goes on one shaft, so its pretty obvious where it goes, use new gaskets, and do the bolts back up to torque and you're done!
so there you go, hopes this helps anyone thinking of tackling thsi job but thought it was too scary

*if you are using new beaings, you cannot simply do the casstleated nut up to where it was before, you must check the meshing of the pinion and crownwheel by the use of engineering blue on the teeth as desribed in the haynes guide*
James R

1st Jun 04 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this work archiving Adam??
J100RSA

1st Jun 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bet your kitchen smells nice
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jun 04 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gunna say i like your workshop mate! looks like a task i may undetake soon. what kinda difference do u get?
James R

2nd Jun 04 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not my Kitchen, that's Lee's place, but my car stinks of eggs now

Broster, It should knock about 0.2 of my 0-60 and about 0.3/0.4 off a 1/4, it especially good if you have a raised rev limit and a cam'd engine.
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jun 04 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

humm i have both the above may deffo get it done to mine then!
James R

2nd Jun 04 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just hard to find the buggers, if you take a hard wire brush with you and clean as in the pics at th etop you see the final ratio scribbed in to the box. Happy hunting.
broster
Premium Member

2nd Jun 04 at 15:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matey, ill be down the scrappy soon, how much is the full gear box?
Kris TD

2nd Jun 04 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or use a diesel corsa box, thats the f13 wide ration.
James R

2nd Jun 04 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't use th ebox, just pull the final out Kris
Greg_M

2nd Jun 04 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bothered

New Poll