corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CO2 on Intercooler. What problems?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CO2 on Intercooler. What problems?
MattyB

User status: Offline
   7th Jun 04 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since my bro has nitrous'd up his GTi6, and has some spare parts left over....i've been thinkin....

The idea of being able to bring my intercooler down to like 0 degrees by blasting it with CO2 very much interests me. Better than ANY huge FMIC up the 1/4 mile. I mean for every 4 degrees drop in charge temp, there is potential for 1bhp gain...so could see anything up to 10-15bhp with this?!

However, can anyone foresee problems with this method? Will the quick transition between 60deg -> 0deg cause too much stress on the intercooler? Cracking or anything?

I know its been used for years as a cooling method, and cant find any bad stories on the Web. The Twisted Sanity nitrous guy said he's never heard of problems either, and its VERY effective.

cheers in advance

Matt

PS: I realise alot of the replies will be speculation as no1 on here has such a set up, but i'd like to look into any possibly probs etc.
Marc

7th Jun 04 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There was a guy spraying his intercooler with CO2 at scooby shootout.
ed

7th Jun 04 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon you might put hairline cracks in the FMIC after a while, as it would be changing temperature very quickly, however if you were to gradually cool it over a couple of minutes before a run, or when you needed it then this could be avoided. I think that there is already a product available called a Cry02 which cools the intake pipe on a N/A car, I'm guessing this could be put to more use by using it to cool the intercooler...
vibrio
Banned

7th Jun 04 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Since my bro has nitrous'd up his GTi6, and has some spare parts left over....i've been thinkin....

The idea of being able to bring my intercooler down to like 0 degrees by blasting it with CO2 very much interests me. Better than ANY huge FMIC up the 1/4 mile. I mean for every 4 degrees drop in charge temp, there is potential for 1bhp gain...so could see anything up to 10-15bhp with this?!

However, can anyone foresee problems with this method? Will the quick transition between 60deg -> 0deg cause too much stress on the intercooler? Cracking or anything?

I know its been used for years as a cooling method, and cant find any bad stories on the Web. The Twisted Sanity nitrous guy said he's never heard of problems either, and its VERY effective.

cheers in advance

Matt

PS: I realise alot of the replies will be speculation as no1 on here has such a set up, but i'd like to look into any possibly probs etc.

waste of time. the CO2 works it's way into the inlet and causes decrease in power
Ditch

7th Jun 04 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I speculate that it will be fine on a decent sized aftermarket IC

why not bodge in some water jets to spray the IC with? Cheaper to make, cheaper to run, easier to do, and as its not AS effective as CO2 its not going to cool the IC so fast that it cracks
micra_pete
Premium Member

7th Jun 04 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you were wanting something like this i'd just go for water personally
MattyB

7th Jun 04 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i'm worrying bout the rapid heat change too but every forum i've search has said they've had no probs!?

I've almost finished my water set up. Not tested it as yet but i cant see it be 10% as effective as CO2! I need to sort a drip tray for under neath tho!

Vibs - how can the CO2 works its way in if the intercooler is sealed? Do u mean if hairline cracks start appearing then it'lll get thru?

Matt
ed

7th Jun 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think he means that it will flow through the intercooler and into the bay where the air intake is - induction kit / air box / air filter - and as there will be an increased ammount of Co2 in the bay the engine will suck in more of the stuff and you'll end up loosing power... Could be avoided if you use a ram air intake?
MattyB

7th Jun 04 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh rite, i see what he means now.

Nah, my intercooler is sealed on top so CO2 wouldnt really escape there. Possibly underneath, but coz my induction kit is on the opposite end of the engine bay low down, i think it should be OK.

Matt
vibrio
Banned

7th Jun 04 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Yeah i'm worrying bout the rapid heat change too but every forum i've search has said they've had no probs!?

I've almost finished my water set up. Not tested it as yet but i cant see it be 10% as effective as CO2! I need to sort a drip tray for under neath tho!

Vibs - how can the CO2 works its way in if the intercooler is sealed? Do u mean if hairline cracks start appearing then it'lll get thru?

Matt

into engien bay then through filter
psycho sport

7th Jun 04 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re route ur air con so it cools the intercooler! hahahaha
MattyB

7th Jun 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont have air con

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CO2 on Intercooler. What problems? 22 database queries in 0.1968062 seconds