corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cars been garaged unused for months - what'll it need done?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cars been garaged unused for months - what'll it need done?
Bennn

User status: Offline
30th Jun 04 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to me being in Oz at the mo my cars been sitting in a garage for 5 months and will be for a few more to come.
What will it need done before i can drive it/ what shall i advise people at home to do with it. Ideally it would have been taken out every weekend but its not possible
I can imagine ill come home to seized brakes/ fuel probs etc.
ta
greebo2

30th Jun 04 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out the battery first. Charge it up on trickle for a few days before you start her up, if it's low and you try starting the engin the current drain could damage the battery.

Check brake fluid level. Check oil level. Visual check for any leaks. Main thing with leaving it stationary is corrosion inside engine. Personally I'd probably take it down to national tyre services and get new oil and filter they do the whole thing for 15 quid including labour.
Engine flush might be a good idea as well to flush all the
old oil out of the engine before you run it any distance.

Also check all tyre pressures and tyre condition.
TOMAS

30th Jun 04 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just check tyre pressures and turn it over by hand to begin with if possible also check battery voltage. It should be fine - 5months is no worries especially if its been garaged!
Kris TD

30th Jun 04 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

change the oil. should do it every 6 months reguardless of mileage. brake will probably bind on yes, handbrake may sieze up. the fuel will have gone off so it will run like shit for a while.
battery will be dead.
coolent and brake fluid could probably do with being changed too.

New Poll