corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » changing the offset

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author changing the offset
JUGGA

User status: Offline
12th Aug 04 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does anyone know a place that can skimm wheels to change the offset?
myke

12th Aug 04 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/pricelist.htm

£12 per wheel
JUGGA

12th Aug 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sweet mate only 20 mins from me to! have you had this done before? do you know the max they will take off?

cheers for that
myke

12th Aug 04 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. they do good work.
free collection delivery service as well.

had my old 17's on my previous corsa done by them a few years back, then a set of 15's done just a couple of weeks ago.

i was dealing with Andrew this time round, sounds like a good bloke, and pretty helpfull. i got a reply to an email the next day.

not entirely sure how much meat they'll take off a wheel. i guess it depends how much is there in the first instance. would probably be ok with up to about 5 or so mm. they may make you sign a waver though.
best to take a pic of the mating face to give an idea of how thick it is, and mail it over to them and see what they say.

bear in mind that the prices listed are +VAT, but you may be able to pay cash?
myke

12th Aug 04 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry, misread slightly.
i've not had offset reduction done, just a couple of refurbs and a repair.
JUGGA

12th Aug 04 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i shall phone andrew tomorrow then see what hes gotta say. want him to do the wheels same day you see.
myke

12th Aug 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they only do their rounds to certain areas on certain days i think.

they come out this way on tuesdays and thursdays. mine were collected on the thurs, and returned the following tues.

they may be able to do it if you run them in to them, but doubt you'd get em back on the same day if they were handling the carriage.
infinitycorsa

12th Aug 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sorry i wouldnt do it..... i work in the metal industry, if u start machin somelike that ur gonna get weak points in the alloys, hence if ever u hit a curb......... etc you ll fuk them up quiker......... not only that how can they garentee that wheels goona be machined square??? i program cnc machines for a living and could do them my slef, how ever if i was in your shoes dont mate. its up to u like in the long run, but save ur money and buy a diff pair ....you thank me for it
Predator Corsa

13th Aug 04 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need to reduce my offset 37
PaulW

13th Aug 04 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be wanting to adjust the offset of mine to (currently ET38), aswell as (if possible) filling the other 4 wheel bolt holes...

so kinda going from this

to this

[Edited on 13-08-2004 by PaulW]
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by the time youve had these wheels filled, re painted , milled to corresct off set it would have been cheaper to find some new alloys the right size and put ur tyres on...trust me
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bare in mind ur lookin around 35 45, per wheel for filling and painting, most places will charge you at least 35 perhr when milling the wheels, and with the setup time with them your prob looking at at least 4 hrs work here...also tyre would have to be removed......15vsquid and so on and so o0n
PaulW

13th Aug 04 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

these alloys have cost me nothing & tyres when i get some new ones wilkl cost me fitting only...
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, i drove with et35 on for a good year, and when i weighed up the odds, i bought some new wheels..... i work in a machine shop and we wouldnt consider doing this type of work as, there would be weak parts in the alloy.if u were takin a couple of mm of you would be fine but not when ur looking at 8 mm off the thickness....... what happens when the cnc machine is running v quick (as it would be), cracks the wheel/ damages the wheel?

its your choice at the end of the day and ur safety, so i ll go back into my own little world...and wander why ur lookin at spending stupid money on a set wheels that could kill u as u hit a pot hole :S

tris
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and 12 per wheel sounds very attractive but when they realise what theyve gotta do u ll see the money go up
myke

13th Aug 04 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do you think it's so hard to do?
why would you want cnc for such a simple job?

all it's going to take is to clamp the wheels down onto a mill bed and skim over a few cuts from the mating face.
and crack the wheel with the cutting tool turning so fast? if you really work in a machine shop, then you'll know this is bollocks.

there is obviously going to be a limit to how much they'll remove, and even then i reckon they'll get you to sign a disclaimer.
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes there would be a limit from where the z height would be set from...... the issue isnt the machin and whether my fact are 100 percent, but it still beggs to differ the safety of maching a wheel back, i think ya mad

If ur are milling this type of material the amount of presure the machine woul;d be putting on would depend on how deeep the cut the machine is making...... it all come down to the quickest way of doing it..... you could take a smaller cut....with a QUICKER FEED..... YOU COULD TAKE ONE BIG CUTT VERY SLOWLEY... either way puttin alot of presure on the wheel, even though a good machinest would have it jacked underneith

IF U HAD ANY sense you would use a cnc lathe or miller as you are doing 4...... so only one set up would be needed, and also once youve programmed it u can walk away from it..... so ur really tellin me that using a manuel miller for this aplication is the way forward????? of also the older manueal miller would be very as accurate as a cnc machine as they work to the closest thou, i very much dought ud get that good on a manual miller :S

the over all job isnt hard to do, i wasnt saying it was.... it takes more set up time whether ur on a cnc or miller than actaully machin the part........oh and also what to sat ur wheel is actually perfectly square??????? to the table? what i mean here is, if i was milling it whether it me manual or cnc the flat that ur machine is going to be relevent to the table..... not to ur wheel....... so in theory if ur wheels have had a knock or two they ll be all over the place, also obvoulsy thinner and less safe ;S

[Edited on 13-08-2004 by infinitycorsa]

[Edited on 13-08-2004 by infinitycorsa]
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh sorry what the z height u ask????????????????? b4 u question me check ur facts m8
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and the swearing wont get ya anywhere
myke

13th Aug 04 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bollocks?? hardly being offensive was it?

fair points you've made, i can accept that.
truth be told, i've never been to this place, so don't know their setup. i do however beleive that it would be a relatively small machine shop and that the costs to buy and setup cnc tooling for this type of work is well off the mark. even if they are doing it all day long, i doubt very much that they could warrent that type of investment.

and z height? i never mentioned one. it's not even me that wants the work done. in my personal opinion it'd be safe to take around 5mm from a wheel, depending how much meat was there in the first place.
and if you're going to go around driving into kurbs all day long, then even a brand new untouched wheel would break.
infinitycorsa

13th Aug 04 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very true mate..... ok no worries,

just for the record the z height, is the the actuallt height from the miller table to the point of connact with a cutter..........i.e z50 would be 50 mm above the table.....or 50 mm above the job which is reference to the datum ppoint in the z from the alloy, 9 / 10 time u would use the base of the job as z 0 hence ,,,,,, 50 mm would be aboce the job....

there is a way to do the job slightly better but it would tak allot longer.

ur right in saying prob a small machiest shop doing it, but if it was me milling it id def use cnc as there allot quicker, more reliable.

if ur doing 4 of the same it would be easy to do as u would set one up, then alternate the wheels on the set up.

a sensible machinest would take 0.5mm cuts as there less presure on the alloy and would get less cutter wear ( dependon matereial. id have to check in my little zues book)

id program the machine to cirular mill to the diametre requided and depth....... but leavin a little on to i could finish it leaving a vert good finish

anyway im off out lol
richard_syko
Banned

13th Aug 04 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just photo shoped ur blue corsa 4 ideas 4 mine, im hoping 2 get a blue un soon

[Edited on 13-08-2004 by richard_syko]
myke

13th Aug 04 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by infinitycorsa
very true mate..... ok no worries,

just for the record the z height, is the the actuallt height from the miller table to the point of connact with a cutter..........i.e z50 would be 50 mm above the table.....or 50 mm above the job which is reference to the datum ppoint in the z from the alloy, 9 / 10 time u would use the base of the job as z 0 hence ,,,,,, 50 mm would be aboce the job....

there is a way to do the job slightly better but it would tak allot longer.

ur right in saying prob a small machiest shop doing it, but if it was me milling it id def use cnc as there allot quicker, more reliable.

if ur doing 4 of the same it would be easy to do as u would set one up, then alternate the wheels on the set up.

a sensible machinest would take 0.5mm cuts as there less presure on the alloy and would get less cutter wear ( dependon matereial. id have to check in my little zues book)

id program the machine to cirular mill to the diametre requided and depth....... but leavin a little on to i could finish it leaving a vert good finish

anyway im off out lol

Richard, you have to upload pics to webspace then link from there. you can't link to your hard drive.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Aug 04 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
these alloys have cost me nothing
So sell them for a profit and buy wheels that fit, far easier!

New Poll